Skip to main content

Mon, Nov 11, 2013 11:48 AM

Multicast to multiple concurrent devices

Configured 7982 with either multicast or directed-multicast and after 8 concurrect users video stream freezes! Users are Android or Windows

Responses

368 Messages

• 

5.6K Points

7 years ago

Could you provide some more info?

How big is the stream? Clients on 2,4 or 5? WEP, WPA, WPA2? Does it freeze on all?

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

7 years ago

We are a company that provide IPTV solutions - and want to try to offer service on wireless devices. So we played with many parameters..

Video - streams about 4-6 Mbs

Clients - both 2.4 and 5 -- the 5 gave a clearer picture, but still when more clients were added the picture simply froze on all

Open network

34 Messages

• 

502 Points

I need help about streaming iptv with 7982, is there a way to contact to you ?

368 Messages

• 

5.6K Points

7 years ago

What I think happened is that you reached the limit when an AP stops converting mc to unicast and then on all of the phones the picture froze. There is a limit at which that happens. I think by default it's 3 or 5. It can be changed, but you must ensure enough BW is available on all locations where IPTV will be serverd.

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

7 years ago

Do you know what the CLI commnad is? Does not show up in CLI guide

BTW - the sam ething happens when I do not convert mc to unicast. Since I am showing the same live content to all the devices, I actually prefer pure multicast since that will sync all the devices and not utilze buffers.

368 Messages

• 

5.6K Points

7 years ago

Maybe it's time for someone at RW to chime in.

I don't know how you manage to send for example 6 mc streams and it works. MC traffic usually defaults to 1 or 2Mbps unless you disable non-ofdm rates which then defaults it to 6Mbps. Have you disabled non-ofdm and have changed the bss-minrate?

But the benefit of directed mc is that you send a stram at max speed per client, not the lowest denominated one, so there are benefits.

Champion

• 

556 Messages

• 

10.5K Points

5 years ago

Wow, this thread was kind of dug up from the past, but the setting I believe the OP was looking for is "directed-threshold": https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000002849

By default this value is set at 5, and there's a warning about increasing it too much....

34 Messages

• 

502 Points

I really need more than that article who are experienced 7982 and iptv project, those topics are a bit larger than my body :)

Champion

• 

556 Messages

• 

10.5K Points

Many of us here are private volunteers who post here in our spare time and are not Ruckus reps or affiliated with Ruckus. If you have a specific question, you're more than welcome to ask, though I would recommend starting a separate thread... Of course, Ruckus has paid support programs and resellers, all of whom would be able to provide you a more formal form of support for your inquiries :)

34 Messages

• 

502 Points

Thanks, that reply make me brave to open a new topic .
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

Kuti Swartz, if toggling directed mutlicast/directed threshold from KBA-2849 hasn't improved your performance,
I'd look at the AP support info files, and Athstats about interference.  Can you pick a particular client and run tests?
Does everything work fine for a wired client?
We have a good selection of articles regarding Client Connectivity that might be helpful in KBA-4255.
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000004255
and in particular:
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000002901

Ali Sureyya Uz, glad to coverse with you on the other thread.