Skip to main content

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

Fri, Feb 21, 2014 10:40 PM

How do I update the ZoneDirector 1100 to the latest firmware?

Hi,
I'm scared to break the thing. Can anyone please provide me with step by step directions for upgrading the firmware on a ZD11000? Or point me in the right direction for instructions?

Thanks in advance,

John

Responses

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

7 years ago

OK, I'm going tpo supplement my post with some more details:

The current firmware build on my ZD is 9.4.0.0 build 110

When I check for updates on the web based ZD user interface I get a link taking me to this page:

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/pr...

Now I need to select which file to download. Which file should I download anbd use for the upgrade?

683 Messages

• 

11K Points

7 years ago

It's a pretty simple process, but there are a few best-practice steps to follow:

1) There is an upgrade path that's recommended to ensure that the databases update correctly. See the release-notes for the version you are interested in, and it will specify the versions you can upgrade from. If you are running an earlier release, you need to work your way backwards and look a the release-notes for that prior release, etc. We usually have a KB article that details this, but for some reason it's not showing up.

2) This article describes the process and a little best-practice: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/an...

3) If you upgrade to 9.5 or higher you'll notice that you can't download the firmware directly, and must first read some special upgrade instructions. These have worked very well to prevent any issues.

As to which release, that depends to a certain degree on what your motivation for upgrading is. 9.4.3 is a rock-solid release and would be the next logical choice. 9.5.3 and 9.6.2 are also excellent. See the What's New articles posted for the releases to see what features were added.

9.7.0 is performing well, but if you use VOIP phones or warehouse scanners there are fixes in the other releases that make them better choices (I know..it's weird that a later version isn't a superset of everything earlier, but that's because we have multiple simultaneous releases)

It does take a scary long time for the upgrade (usually about 20minutes) so make sure an schedule an outage window. And we're here 24x7 if you need help with anything.

12 Messages

• 

182 Points

5 years ago

HI Keith,

I was hoping to get some assistance with regards to this topic. I have tried updating our ZD1100 from 9.5 to 9.8 (could not find 9.6 on the support download page) twice and each time the device takes over an hour without any response with the status light flashing red throughout. After which I have to hard reboot the device which restores the previous version. Is there anything I am missing? I have followed the step by step directions on how to upgrade but with no success.

I require an upgrade to integrate our newly purchased t301s AP's so your assistance will be highly appreciated. 

Regards
Anthony

82 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

5 years ago

Hi Anthony,

Keith no longer works for Ruckus but I am happy to clear the confusion you have.

First of all, what is the exact 9.5 version that you have on the ZD?

I will suggest to upgrade the ZD to version 9.8.3.0.14 but before proceeding with upgrade please answer above question.

9.6 is on the support site and below is the link (note that you need open the pdf file to get the download URL)

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/so...

Regards,
Rahul Koul

12 Messages

• 

182 Points

5 years ago

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for the prompt feedback. The exact version is 9.5.2.0 build 15. I had looked at the same document and clicked on the URL which pointed me to version 9.8.3.0.14. This is the version I have been trying to update to with no success.

Any advice you can provide would be helpful.

Regards
Anthony

82 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

5 years ago

Hi Anthony,

Happy to help! I would suggest to follow below upgrade path for the ZD 1100:

9.5.2.0.15 >> 9.6.2.0.13 >> 9.7.2.0.9 >> 9.8.3.0.14

and from the below link you should be able to download the 9.6.2.0.13 firmware:

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/pr...
1100/software/471-zd1100-9-6-2-0-13-mr-software-release

Few things to remember:
1) Save a back up of the config at each upgrade step.
2) Upgrade from local site.
3) Ensure that Real Time Monitoring (not recommended to be enabled for continuous time) is disabled. You can do this from ZD Ui , Monitor :: Real Time Monitoring.
4.) Delete all Events/Activities from Monitor :: All Events/Activities (Frees up some cache memory).
5) Upgrade using Firefox or Google Chrome.
6) Read release notes of all above version before doing the upgrades.
7) Last but not the least ,upgrade during a maintenance window as wireless will be down during the upgrades.

Regards,
Rahul

12 Messages

• 

182 Points

5 years ago

Hi Rahul,

Unfortunately I keep being redirected to the 9.8 software release every time I open the link you sent or indeed the pdf with instructions on how to upgrade (please try it for yourself and see). Please advise an alternative download path if available.

Regards
Anthony

333 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

Here is the upgrade path link:

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000001841

The link above also has the links to all the relvent files youll need to get the ZD1100 to 9.8.

If you have never upgraded a ZD1100 before, get ready for a long day, as it takes ages just to upgrade 1 version and you have 4 to do :)

Good Luck

12 Messages

• 

182 Points

Thank you so much Sean! Finally!!! Preparing my change window for the upgrade-its much appreciated. Anthony

12 Messages

• 

182 Points

Hi Sean,

I am facing a challenge and am hoping you can help. I tried upgrading to 9.6.2.0.13 but everytime the ZD reboots back to the same firmware, 9.5.2.0.15-what am I missing? Is there a way I can check logs to see what the problem is with the upgrade?

Would appreciate your quick response-have a number of T300's I need to deploy next week!

Regards
Anthony

82 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

Hi Anthony,

Considering you have a deployment next week I would like to help you here.

Which browser are you using? IE? Please try with Firefox or Chrome and see if it helps as mentioned and follow rest of the instructions that I had provided previously.

If you still are unable to upgrade then I would suggest to open a support case.

Regards,
Rahul

333 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

I would use the CLI as most browsers hang when doing remote upgrades.

Issue the following and you should be good:
ruckus# debug
ruckus(debug)# fw_upgrade ftp://:@/
Good Luck

5 Messages

• 

154 Points

5 years ago

Hi Anthony,
at the end of the PDF document you will find the download link, which is
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/products/29-zonedirector-1100/software/471-zd1100-9-6-2-0-13-mr-software-release

Then you should see the link to an .img file, which points you to https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/471-zd1100-9-6-2-0-13-mr-software-release/download

I have no idea why it's been made so difficult :)