fredrik_kenmo's profile

18 Messages

• 

244 Points

Tue, Mar 23, 2021 9:16 PM

Connectivity issue with Laserjet MFP M283fdw

Hi All, same install I have been referring to lately with the r550 challenges. I have got it somewhat stable now and will try updated firmware as it becomes available (200.10 next). However, I have a new Laserjet connected to the r550 unleashed network. It works, but after a while the connection drops - it isn't discovered for Airprint and WebUI inaccessible. Realized today, that if I use the troubleshooting function and force a reconnect service is restored. 
Below is the exchange I see in instances when the printer is unreachable, after I let this run access to the printer is restored. Noticed that the printer is sporting a N-radio, but with limited means of configuration apart from selecting 2,4Ghz, 5 or both. 

Any ideas as to what might be going on, or things to try?!

Official Rep

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

17.7K Points

8 m ago

Hi Fredrik,

A packet capture and AP logs will help to find out why client is dropping. For that, its better you log a case with support.

Since this is a WiFi6/802.11ax AP, you can also try disabling ax mode and see if this stabilize the connection.

• Login to the AP cli and execute following command to verify the current mode of the AP:

rkscli: get mode wifi1   (or wifi0 for 2.4)
wifi1 Mode: 11ahe
OK

• The ahe mode shows that the AP is operational at ax rates. To change the current mode to AC, use following command:

rkscli: set mode wifi1 11ac  (or wifi0 for 2.4)

• Verify the mode change using following CLI:

rkscli: get mode wifi1  (or wifi0 for 2.4)
wifi1 Mode: 11ac
OK

18 Messages

• 

244 Points

Hello @syamantak_omer , the r550s (three of them) are already set to AC-mode. Would you be able to shed some light on your recommended process for capturing packages in this scenario and also the gathering/parsing APs logs - as per my question in the thread?
Many thanks,

Fredrik

Official Rep

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

17.7K Points

Hi Fredrik,

Please refer the below article.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000002607

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

Official Rep | Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RASZA | RICXI

Follow me on Linkedin

18 Messages

• 

244 Points

Thanks @Symantek_omer , will take a look! :)

1 Message

• 

60 Points

8 m ago

I have had a similar issue as well.  In my case, the printer would sporadically connect and then become unavailable.  The client said that the printer would also just spontaneously connect and begin spitting out print jobs in the middle of the night.

Employee

• 

80 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

8 m ago

Its possible this has to do with the printer going to 'sleep' and then missing re-auth packets.  As soon as the device 'wakes up' the connectivity is restored.

There is not much you can do from the network side, as this generally a function of the driver in the printer.  See if you are able to disable sleep/standby and if that helps.  And then contact HP support to get updated drivers for the printer itself, i.e. firmware update.

18 Messages

• 

244 Points

@sunny_gupta I figured that might be the case, tried to increase the sleep time on the printer. To analyze the logs, I would go to the AP that held the connection, correct? What are events to look for in a situation like this? Simply parse the log for any entry pertaining to the printer's MAC-address?

Employee

• 

80 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

Unfortunately if you disable or delay the sleep and the problem persists there isn't much you can do as the device doesn't have the ability to notify the network when its asleep and so may miss traffic destined to it when in this state.

You may want to also consider plugging it in...  other than that, I would expect if you touch the printer panel to wake it up it comes back online.

18 Messages

• 

244 Points

Hi Sunny, I seem to have the disconnect issue more under control now. Funnily enough Airprint issues has escalated to a point where I haven't been able to get iOS devices to find the printer at all. Is there a functionality to capture packets on the AP to make sure client probes (Airprint) reach the printer - the client attempting to print can reach the WebUI of the printer.  

6 Messages

• 

130 Points

8 m ago

I've had a similar issue on a HP M570DW wlan printer. I changed from WPA2/WPA3 to WPA2 only and the problem was gone.

@Syamantak Omer: Do you have WPA2/WPA3 enabled in the wlan?

Official Rep

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

17.7K Points

Hi @antoine_hannemann,

I am not facing this issue. I think your comment was destined for @fredrik_kenmo .

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

Official Rep | Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RASZA | RICXI

Follow me on Linkedin

6 Messages

• 

130 Points

You're absolutely right; thank you

18 Messages

• 

244 Points

@antoine_hannemann thanks for sharing! I need to verify the current setting for that SSID. I did change it around in the quest to root out the (general) connectivity issues experienced in this r550 install. Will definitely check and test it out! Thanks! 

18 Messages

• 

244 Points

@antoine_hannemann sorry, forgot to post the update. Unfortunately, I already had the SSID set to WPA2. My quest will have to continue :) For some reason, it seems worse now. Airprint clients rarely find the printer - if at all. I managed to upgrade the printer to latest firmware, but no improvement. Will try to get a better understanding for how to collect logs and if possible even capture traffic to figure out what is going on - or not going on ;)

11 Messages

• 

174 Points

I wonder if this is related to the (possible) multicast issue on the topic I started here - https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/conversations/ruckus-unleashed/how-to-make-no-qos-directedmulticast-persist-across-reboots/6073da6d9b965348de8d954e

It's a Sonos-focused thread but I discovered that my AirPrint printer wasn't available either. Maybe try running the commands in the OP of that thread and see if it resolves your issue?

Important Announcement