Skip to main content

6 Messages

• 

162 Points

Fri, Feb 8, 2019 12:23 PM

Answered

Ruckus Unleashed slow speeds

Hi everyone, I just replaced a Draytek Wifi network with 4 Ruckus R510 acess points. The problem that I'm having is while hardwired into the switch where the access points are connected I'm getting 400-450 Mbps download and upload, I'm using a small Cisco 10P POE Switch connected straight to the router on a different VLAN. If I connect to any of the access points on WIFI I only get 200-220 Mbps, being next to the access point. I only enabled the 5G network and all the channels are set on auto. Is there anything that I can change to see if it improves the speed on WIFI ? If I was to use a Zone Director and flash the firmware, will it make any difference?
Thank you

Responses

Employee

• 

220 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

2 years ago

Hi Adrian, 

I'm pleased to hear about your new Ruckus Wi-Fi deployment.

However there's a lot more to configuring a wireless network than just leaving all settings on 'Auto'! It will very much depend on your Wi-Fi client device and it's hardware capabilities as to what throughput you will be achieve, along with enironmental factors effecting the RF, such as interference, attenuation, refraction, etc. 

If you require higher throughput on the 5GHz frequency, you will need to configure wider channel bandwidths from the standard 20MHz. With the R510 APs you can configure 40MHz and 80MHz, but whether this will give you actual better performance will very much depend on the factors I've mentioned above but is certainly worth a try.

There is some further configuration information here:  https://docs.ruckuswireless.com/unleashed/200.5/c-ConfiguringIndividualAP.html

Finally; changing the firmware code on the AP won't change the performance of the AP.

I hope that helps,
Darrel.

31 Messages

• 

610 Points

2 years ago

There can be numerous reasons for this to happen. changing your Unleashed to a ZD ap won't make a difference to your wireless enviroment. Just to give some examples of what is happening.
Wireless adapter of the client is not up to date(driver), Interference in your wireless enviroment(high NoiseFloor), a cap on your wireless connection(look at your advanced settings of your SSID) and so on. As you can see these are all RF related and not ethernet related. So unleashed of ZD or SZ will not make a difference. Test it with the same conditions and steps  ut with a different client. How did you determine your speed? Iperf is good way o do this and its free

6 Messages

• 

162 Points

2 years ago

Yes, I am using Iperf and to be honest I was blaming the interference, the site is in the middle of London on the 5th floor surrounded by embassies. Also there is a lot of marble, glass and mirrors in the property, I just wanted to be sure I tried everything before going to the client and tell him why is he getting speeds like this. Thank you for your help.

31 Messages

• 

610 Points

2 years ago

your welcome. I am pretty sure it is your RF enviroment. But definitly take a look at the suggestions me and Darell gave you. There might be some finetuning options to improve your throughput a litle bit. 

Succes!

6 Messages

• 

162 Points

2 years ago

Of course, I'll try them today. Thank you guys.

33 Messages

• 

536 Points

10 months ago

I just replaced two R700 and a ZA1200 with an R710 Unleashed and an R720 Unleashed.  Same exact location, hard wiring and setup, latest firmware.  I also see speeds less than 1/2 of the previous setup.  Somehow, the Unleashed setup refuses to give the same throughput.

2 Messages

• 

84 Points

8 months ago

I'm also limited to about 400 mbps, no matter what OS or how close I get to the WAP, even when only one device is connected.
I'm limited to 7-10 mbps via wifi when less than 10' from the WAP. 

33 Messages

• 

536 Points

We're only getting about 50mbps download speed...  Checking with SpeedFlex, download speeds are about 1/10th of upload speeds.  Absolutely pathetic that we're all still battling this issue...  Best advice; sell your Ruckus AP's...

20 Messages

• 

372 Points

7 months ago

I'm getting terrible speeds with an R720, and even worst with the latest firmware. Perhaps porting DD-WRT would be acceptable at this point with how long this has  been going on?

If there's a router by Ruckus without any of these firmware issues, I'd love to know. I should be getting 900mb/s+ on the newest iPhones and Macbooks in the same room as the router, but this doesn't seem to be the case. (And because it's Ruckus, I should also be able to split that bandwidth between 100+ devices without issues.)

33 Messages

• 

536 Points

7 months ago

Hi Taylor, the best solution is to sell your Ruckus AP's and buy a cheap one.  Much better speeds!  Sad but true.  We have the R710 and R720, both unleashed, both give terrible download speeds.  No solution in sight despite the fact that people have been complaining about this for months.

11 Messages

• 

252 Points

7 months ago

I spent 4 hours with Ruckus support with a new install of 4x R720's with latest 200.8.10.3.243 firmware.  Not easy to explain to client why these new Ruckus AP's get HALF the download speed of the Ubiquitis they replaced.  NOTE: In testing, the problem appears to be with how it handles WPA2 encryption.  Created test open SSID (no encryption) and the speeds doubled - although still not close to the speeds of a wired connection.  SO DISAPPOINTED to read that this issue is not so recent and they have been unable to fix the issue after many months of complaints.  Any word if this has to do with the change of ownership (Arris, now CommScope)?  Not only does this compromise the integrity of Ruckus - it puts integrators in a really bad position.  I cannot possibly do another installation with Ruckus equipment until I am assured this problem is fixed.  I can't believe I actually have to post this.  I won't even get into the issue of this latest firmware breaking PoE negotiation on R710s (now bumped to 802.3af from 802.3at.). What is going on at Ruckus engineering??

178 Messages

• 

2.9K Points

I can't up like this post enough. I have been a die hard Ruckus fan since 2014, I have an AP at home, have bought gear from the swag store (not sure if they still have that), and I have even spoken at Ruckus events to promote the brand/equipment. Right now, as things have been like this for months (even longer to be honest), I have a hard time recommending this product line. I don't know if engineering is giving up, got outsourced to a bad firm, too many Commscope people got their hands on the Ruckus product, or whatever it may be. 

It's like watching the death of a beloved family member. Seriously. I know the problem has been identified, but I still can't believe its taken this long. Reasons like this is why we moved to Ruckus from other products.

33 Messages

• 

536 Points

Having to rely on Ruckus Unleashed AP's during this time has been a challenge.  Especially during video conferences, the connection regularly drops completely.  We know it's Ruckus because the others in the conference do not see this issue as we do.  We tested this with other offices.  Buying Ruckus AP's is a mistake and I would be very surprised if Ruckus survives this.  We advise all our customers to absolutely no way ever to invest in Ruckus AP's...  Sad but true.  We've used them for years.  They seem incapable of solving the download speed issue / don't care.  Either way, there are plenty of other companies that do.

33 Messages

• 

536 Points

Having to rely on Ruckus Unleashed AP's during this time has been a challenge.  Especially during video conferences, the connection regularly drops completely.  We know it's Ruckus because the others in the conference do not see this issue as we do.  We tested this with other offices.  Buying Ruckus AP's is a mistake and I would be very surprised if Ruckus survives this.  We advise all our customers to absolutely no way ever to invest in Ruckus AP's...  Sad but true.  We've used them for years.  They seem incapable of solving the download speed issue / don't care.  Either way, there are plenty of other companies that do.

11 Messages

• 

252 Points

7 months ago

Without wasting any more time taking to Ruckus Support, (- Not that this is the support team’s fault but the engineering and testing failure of their peers -) Does anyone know with certainty that rolling back the firmware will give these Unleashed AP’s their performance back? And if anyone knows this with first hand experience, what version of firmware? Otherwise, I’m afraid I have to box these up and return them.

366 Messages

• 

4.7K Points

Yeah Which Ruckus APs do you have? hopefuly R510/R610/R710..... forget the R720 for now

366 Messages

• 

4.7K Points

7 months ago

Yeah Which Ruckus APs do you have? hopefuly R510/R610/R710..... forget the R720 for now

11 Messages

• 

252 Points

6 months ago

(posted in other threads as well in case someone is looking for workaround)

In the meantime, while we wait (and hope) for a firmware fix that works, here is the current workaround:

1) Downgrade the APs to 200.6.10.1.312 (download from Ruckus and select as manual upgrade).

2) Confirm APs are negotiating 802.3at not 802.af PoE.  (Assuming PoE source is PoE+.). If APs fail to negotiate 802.3at, speeds will be crippled - particularly the R720.  If needed, force the APs to 802.3at via command line.  (instructions available from Ruckus website, or I can provide)

Kudos to Basavaraj in Ruckus TAC for working with me for many hours of testing to get to the above temporary solution. 

Still baffling to me how this problem made it out the door for two major firmware releases why there was no knowledge base with support for a workaround.  A black eye for Ruckus engineering.  I hope they can rebuild the trust they had previously.

20 Messages

• 

372 Points

PoE forcing instructions would be great. Are you checking which mode the AP is in via a command terminal? All I show on the web portal is "LLDP: PoE Enabled" without indication of which kind, but honestly this should not matter as I'm using an official power brick.

I'm on 106.0.0.99.1363 and am afraid to change it as I've tried several others and this seems to work the best.

Do you have any devices getting over 400mbps up and down or is one speed cut in half?

11 Messages

• 

252 Points

I have tested several R720's and R710's on two independent networks and get over 400mbps downloads on all.  Upload speeds are limited to 30mbps (by ISP) and the AP's reach that easily. 

If you are using an "official power brick" e.g. a transformer plugged into the power port, then PoE is not in play at all.  Unless you mean an "official PoE injector" (e.g. only an ethernet cable plugged into AP) which you would still need to verify the PoE status.   Here is the info on forcing AT using CLI (sorry if sloppy or repetitive -haven't cleaned it up):

ssh [email protected]

(login)

Give enable command:

ruckus> enable

Set AP Mode:

ruckus# ap-mode

Commands to run on Member APs to verify power settings:

ruckus# get power-mode

ruckus# get lldp

To force enable 802.3AT power: 

ruckus# set lldp enable

ruckus# set lldp poe enable

ruckus# set power-mode at

Commands to run on Master AP to verify power settings:

ruckus# ap-mode

ruckus(ap-mode)# get power-mode

ruckus(ap-mode)# get lldp

ruckus(ap-mode)# quit

To force enable 802.3AT power on Master AP: 

ruckus> enable

ruckus# ap-mode

ruckus(ap-mode)# set lldp enable

ruckus(ap-mode)# set lldp poe enable

ruckus(ap-mode)# set power-mode at

ruckus(ap-mode)# quit

4 Messages

• 

102 Points

6 months ago

i have the same issue where Ruckus unleashed is giving me bad speeds. Have been working with Ruckus wireless for 7 years and love the product but lately hate the unleashed product. tested at a client last week with 200mbps fiber. on unleashed the throughput does not go above 100mbps and upload and download vary so much when testing from the same position. we then moved the same AP to our vSCG controller and got nothing under 170mbps. same ap, same placement and device on same location. no one is able to explain that. 

confirmed in both testing that the device was connected to 5ghz on 80mhz. 

will be great to get ruckus feedback

65 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

Try updating to the newest firmware.

116 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

6 months ago

We have a total of 414 Ruckus APs
407 of the R710s
2 of the R720s
5 of the T710s

We are using two vSZ controllers. I just checked one AP using "get power-mode" and "get lldp" with results shown below. All of our APs are plugged into Juniper PoE+ switches. Should these APs be at 802.3af or 802.3at?

rkscli: get power-mode
PoE Configured Mode      : Auto
Power Consumption Status : 802.3af Switch/Injector
OK

rkscli: get lldp
LLDP state: Enabled
LLDP interval: 30
LLDP holdtime: 120
LLDP mgmt: Enabled
LLDP bond type: Source MAC for LLDP frames on bond slaves: fixed
LLDP poe: Enabled
LLDP power: 25000
LLDP interface:
LLDP on eth0 : Enabled
LLDP on eth1 : Enabled
OK

116 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

I think I might be able to answer my own question. It appears that 5GHz operating in 802.3af mode runs just as well as 802.3at. The 2.4 GHz band is affected though, operating with 802.3af
  • Limits 2.4GHz to 2x4 (2-chain transmit at 22dBm aggregate power, 4-chain receive)
  • Turns off USB port
  • Turns off Ethernet 1 port
We have all our district owned wireless devices on 5GHz while all guest devices are on 2.4GHz. Since most guest devices are smartphones, limiting them to 2x4 should not be an issue. Do I have this correct?

Employee

• 

220 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

Hi David,

If you check the data sheets on the Ruckus Access Points, you will see details of their power requirements (PoE and AC or DC) and what features are disabled in low-power mode.  As you mention; it's usually a reduction in RF chains on the 2.4GHz radio, reduction in TX power on both radios and disabling of USB port, 2nd Eth port and (if applicable) IoT radios.

R710: https://www.commscope.com/product-type/enterprise-networking/wi-fi-access-points-accessories/indoor/...
T710: https://www.commscope.com/product-type/enterprise-networking/wi-fi-access-points-accessories/outdoor...
R720: https://www.commscope.com/product-type/enterprise-networking/wi-fi-access-points-accessories/indoor/...

There are (arguable) benefits to having more spatial streams on the AP than the client, however I don't believe you'll see a major reduction in performance if you have reduced streams as mentioned above. 

However the reduced TX power on the AP radio (if any) may have more of an impact, so I would be careful with this. I would also be wary of using aggregate power for planning as this is not reliable to predict and ican be affected by other factors in the physical environment.

I hope that helps,
Darrel.