Skip to main content
R

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

Wed, Nov 25, 2020 3:57 AM

R750 Slow Speeds

One of my homes has Cable Internet speeds rated at 450 Mbps Down & 20Mbps Up.

I have a Arris TM1602 DoCSIS 3.0 16x4 > Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 12

At this location I had a...

27" iMac (Model Spring 2019)

iMac > Cat 6 Wire > EdgeRouter 12 = 450 Mbps Down & 20 Mbps Up

iMac > WiFi 5 > PhiComm K3C AC 1900 = 380 Mbps Down & 20 Mbps Up

iPhone 11 Pro (2x2 WiFi 6 Chipset) > WiFi 5 > PhiComm K3C AC 1900 = 365 Mbps Down & 20 Mbps Up

I picked up a Ruckus R750 Unleashed and added it to the EdgeRouter 12

27" iMac (Model Spring 2019)

iMac > Cat 6 Wire > EdgeRouter 12 = 450 Mbps Down & 20 Mbps Up

iMac > WiFi 5 > Ruckus R750 = 375 Mbps Down & 20 Mbps Up

iPhone 11 Pro (2x2 WiFi 6 Chipset) > WiFi 6 > Ruckus R750 = 362 Mbps Down & 20 Mbps Up

Note: I am powering the R750 with a POE+ Injector but could it may be under powered?

I know if it is under powered it may not perform as well as it should but I find it hard to believe an $750 Access Point can't beat a 2 year old $80 consumer router, especially since R750 is WiFi 6 Certified and I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro with WiFi 6 2x2 Chipset.

PoE Injector = Cudy 30W Gigabit PoE+ Injector Adapter, IEEE 802.3 at and IEEE 802.3 af Compliant, up to 100 Meters (328 Feet), 10/100/1000Mbps RJ-45, POE150

Ruckus Power Specs

https://www.commscope.com/globalassets/digizuite/61778-ds-ruckus-r750.pdf (Page 5)

802.3af PoE = PoE: 12.54W

802.3at PoE+ = Full Functionality = PoE+ : 22.34W    /    DC Power: 22.69W

Ruckus Optional Accessories 

These are much higher power specs than stated above in their power specs.

902-0180-XX00 · PoE Injector (60W)

902-1170-XX00 · Power Supply (48V, 0.75A, 36W)

Super appreciate any advice even if it's not related to the R750 just seems odd to me. Thank you!

I will also run iPerf3 tests between server (iMac) and iPhone to test the speed of the hardware minus the ISP. This will rule out any ISP issues. I still think hitting the same 450 Mpbs as a Cat 6 cable via the iPhone 11 Pro via the 2x2 WiFi 6 chipset should be easy.

Responses

16 Messages

• 

222 Points

2 months ago

My set up is similar in that I also have R750 and EdgeRouter but ER4. Also use an injector - 60 watts also if I recall correctly but it is third party. In unleashed, I have the R750 set for at power mode always.

Gigabit down (measured at 940 with ookla on ethernet).

I see betw 400 and 650 on iPhone 11 Pro which is my only WiFi 6 device as I walk around. My WiFi 5 MacBook Pro toos out at around 550,

What is strange about your data is the iMac is faster than iPhone. Opposite my experience.

I don’t have suggestions but thought I would provide some comparative data given the setup similarities.

8 Messages

• 

172 Points

2 months ago

https://www.commscope.com/resources/apps/ruckus-speedflex/

Try the Ruckus speedflex app to test without having to setup iPerf.

Also check on which radio band you are connecting, 2,4 or 5 GHz

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

I tried the speedflex tool on the iPhone 11 Pro from about 10ft away no barriers.

I don’t know how to check which radio I’m connect too. Update below.

I will also get a 60W PoE injector but this should not be the issue I wouldn’t think. 

R750 <> WiFi <> iPhone 11 Pro

This seems sad for a pretty high end Access Point.

Absolutely nothing else connected to this AP when this test was run.

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

I turned off the 2.4 radio, still the same sub par performance.

8 Messages

• 

172 Points

It could be that the R750 is running on a different channel and/ or channel width from the router, due to interference and/ or settings, limiting the current performance. Testing them with the same settings should create a more level "playing field"

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

Tbh this doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. When you say router you must mean the Access Point. The router is an Edgerouter 12 and doesn’t have channel width. 

8 Messages

• 

172 Points

OK, that was not completely clear: I meant the PhiComm K3C AC 1900 wireless router, compared to the R750 access point.

16 Messages

• 

222 Points

2 months ago

I suggest confirming your channelization and see what your dBm and MCS are like from various locations.
This is 7 ft from my R750 AP:
AP Rx Signal (dB) 40
AP Tx Data Rate 11/80/2 / 1.20G bps
And Ookla shows the following (1G down/35M up svc):

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

What does your speedflex say? This would be a more hardware to hardware comparison. 

I’m less concerned about the connection out to an ISP provider as that has many more speculative conditions. 

thanks! 

16 Messages

• 

222 Points

I don't want to run speedflex as it doesn't work well with my VLAN set up.

16 Messages

• 

222 Points

I am hesitant to run speedflex as I never got that working.  Maybe it's due to my VLANs... never bothered to ifgure it out.

But regardless, whatever it says, it won't be less than actual measured external bitrates....

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

Yep all good, not curious about lower but if it’s higher speeds hardware to hardware. 

Thanks! 

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

@raymond_lau 

Where did you end up buying your R750, if you don't mind sharing? If not, no worries. Thanks!

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

2 months ago

Sidebar:

In 2020 / 2021 and spending close to $800 on a commercial Access Point for a residential home I would expect some pretty stellar performance.

Bummer an $80 Chinese router performs the same. Yes, has many options for commercial and major mesh managed networks. Cool, but still.

Official Rep

• 

97 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

The performance you had experienced above does not reflect the real performance we are getting from R750.  The client is Dell laptop with 11ax Intel AX200 2x2 card running Windows 10.  Single client it gets tcp downlink 829Mbps, uplink 938Mbps and even higher for udp with 1020Mbps downlink and 1002Mbps uplink.  Suggest you to contact support team to troubleshoot for you.

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

I purchased this from Amazon (Global Direct Sellers) and it appeared to be new and sealed as far as I can tell.

I just called support...

They would not help me because I bought this from Amazon and said this is likely gray market device. I mean...

He never asked for a serial number or a way to validate if it was an authentic product in my hand.

I find this disgraceful not to know and or support your product.

It's fine if it has no warranty, that's one thing. But if it's a valid genuine product why the hell would they just want to get off the phone and not even check.

This company is sad. Too much, just a little heated about this. 

It would be nice to know if I got a gray market product and help me make sure I buy the correct product. That seems reasonable.

(edited)

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

Serial Number

Official Rep

• 

97 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

Not sure if you have seen the below message when you ordered from Amazon.  You need SmartZone, ZoneDirector or Ruckus Cloud controllers in order to get the required support service.  If you want to run Unleashed, the part number is 9U1-R750-US00.

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

Clearly I don’t get the details of all of this.

However, I was able to update this AP to the Unleashed firmware. Doing this successfully doesn’t matter? It means this AP won’t work properly?

And because it’s not 9U1 model, that negates all my questions?

I’m trying to follow the logic of sub text on an Amazon site and how this company explains gray market items to me.

Your explanation and Ruckus Support don’t match. 

Am I missing something here?

So I’ll go buy an authorized R750 9U1.

What happens when I see the exact same issues for speed? Call tech support and now we can talk because I gave someone more money, basically?

Brutal, mired in partnership commissions.  

(edited)

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

2 months ago

I purchased this from Amazon (Global Direct Sellers) and it appeared to be new and sealed as far as I can tell.

I just called support...

They would not help me because I bought this from Amazon and said this is likely gray market device. I mean...

He never asked for a serial number or a way to validate if it was an authentic product in my hand.

I find this disgraceful not to know and or support your product.

It's fine if it has no warranty, that's one thing. But if it's a valid genuine product why the hell would they just want to get off the phone and not even check.

It would be nice to know if I got a gray market product and help me make sure I buy the correct product. That seems reasonable.

(edited)

(edited)

Official Rep

• 

97 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

You can check the product warranty and service status from our support portal, below link already have your S/N populated.  You can see it has no warranty nor support associated to it.  Product service support can only be activated when purchased from one of our authorised resellers which Amazon is not.  That's why support desk does not need the S/N to look up and determined no warranty/support activated for your product.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/tool_warranty_checkers/new?utf8=✓&warranty_checker_form%5Bserial_number%5D=312072004416 

You can also find our warranty statement below.

https://www.commscope.com/globalassets/digizuite/1077-1067-ruckus-warranty-statement.pdf 

37 Messages

• 

550 Points

This is helpful and I thank you. 

I will stop making posts and get a legitimate device.

will return if I have issues with an authorized device.

sorry for all the trouble just didn’t think gray market products were such an issue with enterprise players.