Skip to main content
A

Thu, Jan 14, 2021 10:36 AM

IP migration on a smart redundancy of 2 x ZD 1200

Hi everyone,

I am new to ruckus equipements, but not in wireless :-)

I have 2 ZD 1200 in cluster (smart redundancy) with 12 AP's connected. 

The primary controller has 1 IP address (let's say 10.0.0.136), the second has another one (let's say 10.0.0.137) and there is a management IP (let's say 10.0.0.138). AP's have IP addresses from 10.0.0.140 to .151.

Our customer requested to migrate the IP addresses of the 2 controllers and 12 AP's.

I was wondering, do i have to break the cluster to do that ? Or can I change the IP address while the cluster is still built ? 

If someone has experience on it, it would really be appreciated :-)

Thank you.

Alexis

Responses

Employee

• 

272 Messages

• 

5.7K Points

2 months ago

Hi Alexis,

The ZoneDirector network uses layers 2 and 3 for discovery and controller<>AP communication.

Moving the controllers to new IP addresses will temporarily break the cluster but you will lose connectivity with all your APs at some point during the address migration anyway. Once the controllers are both on the same subnet and the cluster IPs are configured, they will re-join with each other.

It is concievable to move the secondary controller to the new IP first, so when you move APs over to the new IP range, they will have a controller to communicate with.

There is a 3rd-party tool for mass AP changes which may be of use, called Cross-Breeder.  You can download it here: https://github.com/andreacoppini/crossbreeder

Please note this tool is not supported by Ruckus.

I hope that helps,
Darrel.