I am a home owner with very basic network skills. I have to replace my existing wifi network hardware because of end of life for the wifi router and to improve seamless roaming in the house/better signal coverage.
Existing set up:
- House: 3 floors or levels [one basement, first floor and second floor] each with roughly 1800 – 2000 sq ft.
- Internet connection: Fiber, 500 Gb internet ONT enters basement but terminates in the “first floor”. This is connected to a D-Link AC3200 wifi router in the first floor. This is located just off center of the middle of the house.
- Switch – Unmanaged HP Procurve 1410-24G, J9561G, located in the second floor network closet.
- Current network cable setup – ISP enters basement but instead of connecting to a router in the basement it is connecting to the D-Link wifi router in the first floor and then running to the network hub in the second floor [for ease of troubleshooting internet connection issues, like restarting modem etc]. This router is then connected to the HP Procurve in the second floor network closet on the opposite side of the house from here the rest of the house is hardwired, including a line to the basement where the ISP/router was originally conceived to be setup.
Given this setup if I want to use Ruckus unleashed what hardware do I need?
- Two R550 one in the first and one in the second floor at each end of the house powered by Poe injectors and connected to existing HP switch?
- For router can I use the existing D-Link router with the above or do I need to buy a new router? If so which one?
- Do I need the ICX 7150-C12P switch or can I use my HP switch and poe injectors?
- Is there a recurring maintenance/licensing cost for using the R510 or R550 or is it a one time purchase cost?
Please suggest a cost effective way to get good signal through out my house? If R550 is an overkill then can I use R510?