Skip to main content

77 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

Thu, Dec 4, 2014 8:38 PM

ZD9.9 and 7962APs?

Any hope that 7962 APs will, one day, be compatible with version 9.9?

Responses

Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

6 years ago

To determine supported AP models, refer to the ZD firwmare release notes, where
supported AP models will be listed. Unfortunately, model 7962/7762/7363 with
64mb RAM have been end of sale and end of lifed, best performing on 9.7 and
earlier ZD firmware.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/do...

• R300
• R500
• R600
• R700
• SC8800-S
• SC8800-S-AC
• T300
• T300e
• T301n
• T301s
• ZF7025
• ZF7055
• ZF7321
• ZF7341
• ZF7343
• ZF7352
• ZF7363
• ZF7372
• ZF7372-E
• ZF7441
• ZF7761-CM
• ZF7762
• ZF7762-AC
• ZF7762-S
• ZF7762-S-AC
• ZF7762-T
• ZF7781CM
• ZF7782
• ZF7782-E
• ZF7782-N
• ZF7782-S
• ZF7982

2 Messages

• 

72 Points

6 years ago

The direct answer to this question is unfortunately "no". End of Life for the 7962 was announced March 1st, 2013. Per the EOL announcement, the 7962 will not be supported on software released after August 31st, 2014.

See this link: https://ruckus-support.s3.amazonaws.c...

-Minh

77 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

6 years ago

So, given that we have 16x AP7962s (as well as 8x7982s) it is therefore pointless to upgrade our ZD any further. Is there any reason to maintain our annual Zone Director registration fees?

5 Messages

• 

120 Points

6 years ago

We have 61 7962 units! Are we SOL?

We still have support on these units. What happens if they, uh, break? Will we get 7982 units back?

Maybe Ruckus should have withheld features, but to drop compatibility completely seems ridiculous.

We've invested heavily in Ruckus, and this is a slap in the face.
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

6 years ago

Hello Paul,

We’re happy that you’ve chosen Ruckus products too, and zf7962 was the
company’s flagship dual-band access point. We’re proud to have developed
the indoor/outdoor AP line further. New AP hardware has increased CPU
capabilities, more RAM, Flash, and now 802.11ac MU-MIMO in both indoor/
outdoor products, and soon incorporated into a higher performance PtP/PtMTP
wireless bridges.

The ZD1000 was also quite capable of managing early model APs, but as our
software grew with additional features/functions, the early platform products
could not support them all, and we’ve developed their predecessors. Your ZD3K
can run any level of ZoneFlex firmware, but newer AP models are required to
support some of the newer firmware features, ie Bonjour Gateway. Hopefully
your Ruckus VAR or account team can discuss your options if you need more than
9.8 services, the last level for 7962 support in code.

Our Support Portal Products page, has ZoneDirector, and ZoneFlex Indoor/
Outdoor AP boxes at the top. Each of the AP pages lists our current product
offering, and lists the previous model APs/ZD that have reached an EoL for
production/sales at the bottom. We do continue to provide support for EoL
products, 5 years after EoS.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/do...

We also honor all support covered product RMAs, but with a modern comparable
type AP (or ZD). If you have a zf7962 failure, the zf7372 is the comparable 2x2:2
dual-band 802.11n AP you would receive. I hope this is helpful.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/pr...

77 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

6 years ago

Hi Michael

Will there be maintenance releases of 9.8 to fix some of the faults addressed in 9.9. Most concerning for me is the lack of manual setup option for users who subscribe to DPSK a - particularly Android users who used to copy their passkey down since the APK file was so unreliable.

Martin
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

6 years ago

Correction: zf7962 replacement is the 3x3:3 zf7982. Replacement products are functionally better than or equivalent to EoL products, but may have a different form factor.

Generally bugs discovered by customers on a particular release, ie 9.8, should be
resolved with a patch or a maintenance release on that train. I don't recognize
the issue you refer to Martin, but do you have an ER number for reference?

34 Messages

• 

704 Points

Hi Michael,

You stated that "zf7962 replacement is the 3x3:3 zf7982". Also, our Sales Rep confirmed this info too.
However, I just received a zf7962 replacement for a 7962 RMA (#319481).

Could you explain this difference? I hope it is just a mistake.

Thanks,

Alex

824 Messages

• 

13.2K Points

i think when they run out of ZF7962 then they will give out ZF7982 as replacement...

34 Messages

• 

704 Points

They will never run out of zf7962 (especially with the trade-up program for the 802.11ac capable APs like R710 in which customers buy R710 at half price and give back the same number of zf7962)...

24 Messages

• 

406 Points

From the info given by Michael in his latest post to this thread, it seems like Ruckus is only offering a maximum of $100 per AP trade-up. Where are you getting the info about buying a R710 at half price (which would certainly be intriguing to me and quite a number of other customers)?

77 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

6 years ago

Brought to attention is Case 00225905 and seemingly addressed in 9.9: Mobile Friendly DPSK. Assumed the making characters easy to copy down implied the return of "Manual DPSK" setup for mobile devices?

5 Messages

• 

120 Points

6 years ago

Michael -

Thank you for your replies.

My main concern, however, is what does a customer, like us, do in this type of situation? It seems to be that we aren't being provided with any viable alternative from Ruckus or than "buy more and pitch the old ones".

I can understand the reasoning for why a certain model AP may be dropped from support. Technology moves on. However, when, as a customer, we've invested a LOT of money in Ruckus and implemented Ruckus in various other locations (we are Public School who does tech support for other area schools - thus, we've recommended and installed Ruckus at multiple districts), to be told that half our AP's will stop working if we upgrade to the latest release isn't acceptable. There should be some sort of 'upgrade' or migration path that we could follow to exchange no longer supported APs. At a very minimum, our current support contract should be credited back to us since it is now worthless (minus saving us shipping costs).

To add to our frustration - we are mixed AP environment. So, we currently have 50+ 7962 AP's and nearly 30 of the new R700 AP's. Thus, in our current situation, we can't upgrade our new AP's since it will break our 50 older models.

Anyhow, I have call into Ruckus and was suppose to hear back from a sales rep as far as options. I have yet to get that call. I am certainly hoping that Ruckus just doesn't think that a Public School (or anyone in that matter) should just have to upgrade 50+ AP's in order to have things upgraded and working. If so, then they should be crediting back all the worthless support contacts, like ours.

Any viable solutions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Paul

77 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

6 years ago

+1 I'm afraid. Surely there is some way that our 7962s can happily remain transmitting and receiving their data, and we can upgrade our ZD and 7982s!? We prepaid 3 years of upgrades this year, so would be pleased to have some pathway from here...

2 Messages

• 

72 Points

6 years ago

Paul and Martin,

Let me correct my earlier post.

Your APs won't just stop working altogether, you just won't get new features after 8/31/2014.

You still get software updates and maintenance releases for the 7962 until 8/31/2015.

Also, plenty of people keep their networks running on older releases.

ML

77 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

6 years ago

Is there some way to software-upgrade our 7982s and our Zone Director - neither of which have reached End-of-Life - and still have our 7962s function? Because, at the moment, if I upgrade the Zone Director I am threatened that my 7962s WILL stop working.

I'd be happy for the new features not to transmit to the 7962s, but all indications are that they will die if I upgrade the rest of the system to 9.9.
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

6 years ago

Hi Martin,

Your 7962s and 7982s can co-exist on ZoneFlex 9.8 release, with many new
features since the 7962s were introduced. But, to continue using both models,
you must stay on 9.8 versions of firmware. That is the AP hw limitation.

If your company has been waiting for new AP models, R500, R600, or T300 with
sector, narrow-band, or external antennas, which require 9.9 firmware, then you
need to consider a migration plan.

But like Minh stated above, 9.8 updates for 7962 will be available thru 8/31/15
at least. Keep in touch with your VAR or Ruckus account team.

5 Messages

• 

120 Points

6 years ago

Michael -

Thank you for the information.

To summarize, for clients in our boat (mixed AP's - 7962's and newer), we HAVE to stay on version 9.8 correct? And, 9.8 will be updated for the next year. Can you also confirm that 9.8 will update newer AP's (meaning, by staying at 9.8 we aren't losing updates/fixes for our new AP's are we?) or will our R700 models being 'losing out' by staying on 9.8?

Finally - does Ruckus currently have, or do you expect them to have, a plan for clients to 'upgrade' old AP's to newer versions without having to go out and pay full price? We have over $40,000 worth of 7962's and the idea of being told "pay us again" won't sit well with my board and bosses (we are a Public School system). Again, I understand technology moves on but being told "if you AP's stop working, then you'll get a newer replacement model for free due to the lifetime warranty - if they don't, then spend another $40-50K just so you can get the latest support releases", doesn't sit too well. Obviously if there is nothing then we won't be purchasing support contracts in the future since they would basically be worthless to us.

If you could clarify these things, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

6 years ago

Hi Paul, my background is support and I can answer most technical inquiries,
but I'll need to refer your questions to Mike Rosedale, sales rep for Alpena Public
Schools, and see if he can help work something out with your nearby reseller.
I've asked him to contact you.