Skip to main content

Sun, Aug 18, 2019 7:10 PM

Answered

Slow Download Speeds R710 Unleashed

Strange issue with R710 on latest unleashed firmware. Upload speeds consistently incredible on both laptop and phone but downloads even from 5 ft away never go over 200 but stay consistent through 3 thick walls. Speedflex on android shows 550 up 550 down to AP. Iperf reflects speedtest.net results. Cable shouldn't be the problem as I have plugged my laptop on it and gotten the gigabit fiber speeds I should be getting. I have factory reset it countless times set everything to auto and tried manually setting the bands and channel width, am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Responses

16 Messages

• 

252 Points

a year ago

It would be nice if the support would say something.

16 Messages

• 

252 Points

a year ago

It would be nice if the support would say something.

40 Messages

• 

580 Points

a year ago

Hi all, I'm using 3 x R710 with 2 x ZD1200 for high availability at home. The ZD runs firmware 10.3.1.0 build 21. I tested unencrypted, WPA2 and WPA2-enterprise and got similar results. In all 3 cases the upload speed is twice as fast as the download speed. Device used for testing was an iPhone 8. So download speed was pretty stable on 200+ mbps and upload 400+ mbps. 
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

a year ago

I have asked for new DE/QA testing with R710, R720, R610 model APs on Unleashed 200.7 and 200.8 beta,
over WPA2-PSK and 802.1x/AAA WLANs, with Apple clients using iPerf utility.

They have provided previous test results from WPA2-PSK test bed with this topology (one Master AP, one switch, one LAN PC, one Wireless PC)

The devices under test:

AP model: R710
Unleashed AP Working Mode: Bridge
Precondition: 1 Unleashed Master AP, with one WPA2 WLAN
Client Device: MacBook Pro OS X version10.10.5
WAN PC: MacBook Pro MacOS version 10.14.5
Test tool: Iperf 2
Test commands:
server: iperf -s/iperf -s -u
client: iperf -c server's IP -t 60/iperf -c server's IP -u -l 1400 -t 60 -b800m

Measurements:

Version    Download (mbps)     Upload (mbps)

TCP           UDP         TCP      UDP

200.4       631             681          783       752

200.5       644             680          768       754

200.6       650             685          785       757

200.7       640             685          788       770

200.8       645             685          792       771

13 Messages

• 

294 Points

Nothing prior with iOS Apple devices? iPad/iPhone . That seems to be a commonality among those of us with problems. Not as much with macOS based laptops.

Champion

• 

556 Messages

• 

10.5K Points

In addition I would suggest using a fast internet connection and trying to use something like the Speedtest app for iOS or fast.com. Perhaps iperf's packet sizes and number of streams hides the issue a bit. I definitely see it pretty badly with Speedtest on a gigabit connection. Speedtest uses a dozen or two HTTPS connections to measure speed.

6 Messages

• 

160 Points

a year ago

I think the issues are mainly with IOS not OSX.

Champion

• 

556 Messages

• 

10.5K Points

Yeah I agree, the problem seems worst with 2 stream 802.11ac Apple products running iOS, especially iPhone X and newer phones. Makes me wonder if something is going awry with MIMO powersave techniques.
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

a year ago

Thanks all, info has been passed up (iOS, 2 stream 802.11ac clients) need focus.
We appreciate your feedback, and I'll let you know what I hear back.

Champion

• 

556 Messages

• 

10.5K Points

Thanks Michael, we really appreciate Ruckus looking into this. It is fascinating how frequently this is being observed by others, hopefully your team doesn't have a lot of trouble reproducing this issue!

368 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

Seems... the development team is not able to reproduce problem in a lab in any firmware version.  So I’ll be working with them on 30mins to an hour at most on Tuesday since I’ll have time that day so they can remote in and use iperf to test.. Yeah, I do believe that under certain RF conditions this bug comes out.

16 Messages

• 

394 Points

Not clear how they can't reproduce. All it takes is an rX10 series AP and a newer iphone/ipad/mac. Download speeds are extremely limited compared to upload. Multiple sites now have issues like that for us. Surely someone in support has a newer iphone?

368 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

Beats me. In a controlled environment, they can’t seems to reproduce it..... I guess I’ll have to be the one to help them.  Doing for myself and my clients. 

16 Messages

• 

394 Points

I'm totally fine with doing the same. If any tech from Ruckus has interest, I have a test-bench I setup they can feel free to play with. Just contact me.

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

a year ago

Do you really see this issue only with iOS devices?
For me it‘s the same with Samsung S10 on Android 10 and R710 Unleashed.

iPerf Test from Samsung to my Firewall:
down 80.9 / up 280                                                            
down 86   / up 287
down 99 /  up 326

This is my normal setup, no testsetup and I was 3m away from the R710 on 5GHz.
Firmware on my Unleashed setup is 200.7.10.202.94

368 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

a year ago

As reported, it seems to affect mostly iOS devices and know some android devices are affected, but I can’t verify that since I have no android devices. However, as reported by another user earlier on this thread a Samsung S10 is impacted. I wonder if the s10 has a Broadcom WiFi chipset since Apple only  uses Broadcom on all their devices.

368 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

a year ago

Unfortunately.  I wasn't able to connect with the Ruckus Tech support engineer today since I had to take care of a client ASAP.  However, tonight think I might have a break through in testing.  Even when I was using 200.6.x firmware it's not as fast I think it should be on iperf3 since on my iPad Pro 2018 I was getting 280mbps which just did not seem right.. so I came up with the idea of running more than 1 stream in parallel for iperf3 testing.  so I added -P2  etc... each time I increased the streams I was able to increase the over all sum of the streams ... so I was able to add P6 and was getting up the 530mbps to 580mbps when adding all the streams together. .

Stefan Mehre,   can you retest with your samsung but add -P6  ?

368 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

I probably won't be able to work with Ruckus tech support til Next Tuesday......

Champion

• 

556 Messages

• 

10.5K Points

Hmm that might be why Ruckus can't reproduce it, if they're running iperf with a bunch of streams and somehow this is a QoS or queuing related bug where the AP is incorrectly throttling AP->client communications.

I would probably recommend trying the iOS speedtest app or fast.com, even if the WAN link isn't gigabit. Those simulate regular old HTTPS TCP connections, which is how most content is delivered these days (whether it's large mobile app downloads or movie rentals / streaming services). For sure that's the kind of traffic where I see the biggest manifestation of this issue.

16 Messages

• 

394 Points

I'm hooked to a 1gbit spectrum line that pulls 980-1.1 consistently on hardwired connections. I keep testing with SpeedFlex and AP to AP on my R710's speeds out to 1.3gbps symmetrically. SpeedFlex to iPhone 11 Pro Max, is 300-400mbps down and about 600-800mbps up consistently within those ranges.

10 Messages

• 

200 Points

I have r510 and r710 both unleashed and i can also confirm the faster upload however the situation is also client specific. i.e. on intel ax200 (wifi6) client i get about 400mbps, on intel 9265 (wifi5) i get 550mbps, on pixel 3 i get 500mbps, this is using speedtest.net.   My connection maxes out at 580mbps consistently using ethernet.

368 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

a year ago

Ok Just emailed Ruckus Tech Engineer some of my results from testing  from last night on iPro Pro 2018 and also a Modified Lenovo i7-620 with Intel 7260 WIF AC. Testing with Iperf3. I have more details in the files.

If you interested in the results between the newest 200.7.10.202.94 and 200.4.x firmware  it's in RTF format.  Sharing it for view from my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bxee0j84pixcro/R710%20Firmware%20%20200.7.10.202.94%20iPad%20Pro%20Tests....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0z06p49os2w81q/R710%20firmware%20200.4.9.13.47%20iPad%20Pro%20Tests.rtf?d...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yys2kj99myvch0e/R710%20firmware%20200.4.9.13.47%20Lenovo%20Tests.rtf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqv8mt4qufxldqp/R710%20firmware%20200.7.10.202.94%20Lenovo%20Tests.rtf?dl=...

368 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

a year ago

I have yet to test 200.7.10.2.339 and 200.7.10.102.64 which I know are the more problematic using speedtest.net and speedflex....

To make it short.. there is a clear difference in downstream from firmware 200.7.10.202.94 and 200.4.x  firmware. It even impacts my windows 10 Machine using an intel 7260 wifi ac card..... could test it with a broadcom card later..

368 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

a year ago

now I wonder how they did tests for speedflex and compare that to speedtest.net... and iperf3

368 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

a year ago

Confirmed 200.8.10.3.243 still has same slow wifi speed bug from 200.7.x firmware.  Anyway just got done testing with Ruckus Engineering support on firmware 200.7.10.202.94 and standalone 104.x firmware. I still need to get the files uploaded later tonight

16 Messages

• 

394 Points

a year ago

Yup. Just tested. 200.8. thats just released has not addressed the issue. I am getting frustrated at ruckus for failing to even acknowledge the fact that their NEWER equipment has an issue with connections to one of the worlds most popular mobile devices. I will post basic results tomorrow. Need to revert back. 200.6 seems to be the sweet spot for me, allows 400-550mbps on iphone pro max.

3 Messages

• 

100 Points

200.8 on R720 same issue, slow download speeds, no difference to 200.7...

368 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

Anyway, they’ll look at my iperf3 results and support files they needed tomorrow since the testing we did was very late towards the end of their working hours.  Their main guy that was working with me had to hand me over to their other guy since they were switching shifts, but it just seems strange, they just think it’s only an unleashed issue.
i know it also impacts standalone firmware 110.x too.  Anyway, the only testing we did was 200.7.x and 104.x firmware.    I do believe it’s cross platform, but their larger customers that don’t use unleashed don’t really care about individual client speed as much for max throughput. Anyway, my iperf3 results show a big decrease between 200.7.x and 104.x firmware single stream test only. Strange they preferred using iperf2 and I insisted using iperf3.

368 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

Unfortunately, I could not do a speedtest.net test that they requested since I don’t have gigabit bandwidth isp yet. Using static ips at the moment and running a mail server.

16 Messages

• 

394 Points

16 Messages

• 

394 Points

368 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

a year ago

Got a reply from support:

Now what does this mean???

——————/—

We got an update from the engineering team and they confirmed that there is some issue speed test tool test on the unleashed platform however there will be no performance issue with AP's' and they are separately dealing with speed test outputs.

Please confirm if your client-facing any performance issue.

13 Messages

• 

294 Points

Are they trying to say the speed test tool output is bad or at fault, but the unleashed AP performance is fine?

or in other words it is their fault not ours? 

33 Messages

• 

536 Points

This is utter non-sense.  I tried the unleashed R710 & R720 back to back with my system using the ZD1200 with 2 R700's.  The speed difference is dramatic!!!  Almost 4x!  Same exact clients, internet connection, location, etc.  Identical al.  Same speedtest as well.  They are in complete denial.
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

No, that is what DE is saying, it's the Speedtest tool, not the AP performance (with different ac clients, using iperf local client to network target).
I've provided engineering with feedback from this thread, about testing iOS 13+ not MacOS, etc. 

Please provide your Unleashed R710 client results, from anything but the Speedtest tool, and I will continue to share it with engineering.

33 Messages

• 

536 Points

Hello Michael;
Please let me know what tool to use instead and I'll send you the results.
My point was though, using the speedtest tool on both setups, the speeds with the unleashed AP's is between 1/3 and 1/4 of the speed vs using R700 AP's and a ZD1200.  If it was the speedtest, wouldn't the results be the same?

Champion

• 

556 Messages

• 

10.5K Points

Speedtest on desktop is simply using a web browser to download about a dozen files adding up to a few hundred megabytes over HTTPS. I am also curious what issue was identified with the test as I've generally found it an accurate reflection of how fast one can download large files.