Skip to main content

4 Messages

• 

102 Points

Wed, Apr 8, 2020 9:47 PM

R750 unleashed mesh

I have bought 3 x R750 access points and am trying to set up the network as described in Figure 223. (https://docs.ruckuswireless.com/unleashed/200.8/GUID-4F9734E2-4180-431A-9F48-DEAF8E04D3A8.html)

One Unleashed Master AP, One Mesh Root AP, One Mesh AP.

Unfortunately, under AP/Show System Overview Info under Mesh Type > Not supported

The PDF explicitly refers to the mesh support. (https://webresources.ruckuswireless.com/datasheets/r750/ds-ruckus-r750.pdf)

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong in the setup?

Responses

Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

8 months ago

Hi Smooth,
   Connect all three APs on your wired network to get started.  When Unleashed is
setup, you can move one of the APs to it's intended Mesh location.  The other two
will decide who is going to be the Master AP (on the wired LAN).  A Mesh AP can
not be the Master, but your other two will provide backup Master capabilities if one
goes offline.  Your remote AP will Mesh to the one it sees has the best signal (and
hopefully can reach the other, if needed).

4 Messages

• 

102 Points

Hi Michael,

please see my Screenshots. I have all 3 wired connected.

Employee

• 

221 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

8 months ago

Hi,

I don't believe Mesh is supported as yet on Wi-Fi 6 APs (including the R750) on Unleashed until the next major release (200.9). 

The AP hardware is capable of Mesh but the software to enable it is still in development.

The feature is currently in the planning stages with Engineering and should be available in late summer/autumn 2020. However I cannot 100% confirm the feature or the release schedule at the time.

Regards,
Darrel.

4 Messages

• 

102 Points

Hi Darrel,

if I believe what you write, why does the product description say exactly the opposite?

As it seems you are an employee of ruckus. I thought that "Meshing" is a core competence of this company, maybe i failed at this Point. 

But if that doesn't work, I'll just have to buy the Netgear Orbi which can do this feature. 

Can I get the money back from Ruckus?

Regards
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

Hi Smooth,
   Darrell is correct, that R750 does not have Mesh feature (yet)...

Champion

• 

556 Messages

• 

10.5K Points

It's fairly industry standard practice for the datasheet to describe what the product will eventually be able to do. Usually it is denoted via asterisks or fine print when a feature is not currently available. For the R750 it is understandably complex because certain firmwares have supported mesh on 11ax APs but not all of them, and that's a difficult distinction to capture on a data sheet.

4 Messages

• 

102 Points

Hello Michael, Hello John,
thank you for your message.
I find the statement very interesting "It's fairly industry standard practice..." that's like Volkswagen saying that the diesel is clean... from my point of view this is rather fraud, because I did some research before buying and took this function as in the datasheet as a basis for my decision. Unfortunately the dealer where I bought the R750 does not take it back, because he says the function is described in the datasheet and therefore no defect. Is it possible to find an agreement with Ruckus? I have invested a lot of money in the R750.

Champion

• 

556 Messages

• 

10.5K Points

Note that I don't work for Ruckus, please don't take my statements as defending one vendor or another. Just more for your next product you choose, it's important to explicitly check that your use case is supported in the current software available to you. I work with products from many vendors and there are always these kinds of nuances between what is currently supported versus what will be coming in a future software update.

This is not at all the same as DieselGate as this functionality is actually coming and you've been given a timeline for when Unleashed will get mesh for 11ax. Resellers are supposed to have the same timelines and are meant to work with the customer to understand their needs in order to sell them a product, so I think it is on the reseller if Unleashed R750 was chosen.

11ax meshing was enabled in ZoneDirector release 10.3, and I believe R750 support in 10.3.1 MR1 would have made that a supported release.

Wish you the best of luck in getting resolution. Unfortunately enterprise networking products are more complex and confusing to navigate compared to consumer hardware -- there's frequently multiple types of controller architecture and multiple concurrently supported releases of each. This is really where one needs the advice from someone experienced in the platform, whether it's a VAR or someone else.