Skip to main content

12 Messages

• 

172 Points

Mon, Jun 8, 2020 3:05 PM

Answered

R720 SCG firmware change

I have bought an R720 from Ebay. I have tried many times to factory reset it using the button. Then the device successfully obtains IP address from DHCP, and I can log in using the default credentials (super/sp-admin) for one time (!), and all I see is a restricted UI showing me:

"Software Version: 5.1.1.0.3048" and also that "A Ruckus SCG is managing this device."

And I can't go anywhere from here to change the firmware to standalone or unleashed (which I wanted to do originally). Can anyone kindly suggest me where can I go from here?

Thanks in advance.

Responses

126 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

5 months ago

Hi B0mb,

Pls ssh into it and use command set-factory, then you will be able to change the firmware.

Regards,
Abilash PR

12 Messages

• 

172 Points

Abi,

I have tried that the ssh session looked like this:
login as: super

Please login: super

password :

Copyright(C) 2018 Ruckus Wireless, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

** Ruckus R720 Multimedia Hotzone Wireless AP: 3617xxxxxxx

rkscli: set factory
Factory defaults will take effect after reboot
OK
rkscli: reboot
Oops! "Reboot" is waiting for firmware update to finish....
OK

Then it rebooted and it's back to same version after factory and reboot:

rkscli: get version
Ruckus R720 Multimedia Hotzone Wireless AP
Version: 5.1.1.0.3048

12 Messages

• 

172 Points

Abi,

I have tried that the ssh session looked like this:
login as: super

Please login: super

password :

Copyright(C) 2018 Ruckus Wireless, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

** Ruckus R720 Multimedia Hotzone Wireless AP: 3617xxxxxxx

rkscli: set factory
Factory defaults will take effect after reboot
OK
rkscli: reboot
Oops! "Reboot" is waiting for firmware update to finish....
OK

Then it rebooted and it's back to same version after factory and reboot:

rkscli: get version
Ruckus R720 Multimedia Hotzone Wireless AP
Version: 5.1.1.0.3048

EDIT:
This AP behaves really strange to me... after I manually reset it using the reset switch or the CLI as shown above, it "somehow" updates the firmware and reboots once again and then I cannot login with the default credentials anymore. If I scan the AP from the switch using LLDP it shows such information:

System Name: Reception AP-3617xxxxxxxxx
System Description: Ruckus R720 Multimedia Hotzone Wireless AP/SW Version: 5.1.1.0.3048

Weird, eh?

12 Messages

• 

172 Points

UPDATE:
This AP behaves really strange to me... after I manually reset it using the reset switch or the CLI as shown above, it "somehow" updates the firmware and reboots once again and then I cannot login with the default credentials anymore. If I scan the AP from the switch using LLDP it shows such information:

System Name: Reception AP-3617xxxxxxxxx
System Description: Ruckus R720 Multimedia Hotzone Wireless AP/SW Version: 5.1.1.0.3048

Weird, eh?

126 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

Hi B0mb,

Please run set https enable this should give you web interface, now you will get options to upgrade the firmware or you should perform the upgrade using cli.

Please check if you have compatable version for this AP, and try to perform the upgrade.

Hope it hepls!!!

Regards,
Abilash PR

12 Messages

• 

172 Points

Abi,

The GUI is restricted to see the basic infos and reboot/reset but I can't do anythings else. I think that's because it's managed by "SCG"....

Brand User

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

4 months ago

Lesson is Don't Buy Used APs on Ebay!

This AP was obviously owned by a Ruckus Cloud customer... and it may not be legal if still registered to the Cloud.