Skip to main content
anthony_7436256's profile

Sun, Nov 5, 2017 3:17 PM

Answered

Apple OSX devices getting no internet while connected to Ruckus APs

We have an environment with 36 R510 APs spread among 12 floors with 2 ZD1200's on the back end. We notice on a daily basis that random set of Wifi users cannot browse the internet or get disconnected in the middle of a video call even though they have full bars for Wifi.  This is an issue because the building is 100% wireless. We have turned off DFS channels, and tweaked power levels accordingly to minimize overlap. It seems that only Apple users are effected. Are there any known issues with Ruckus and Apple devices?

Responses

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

2 years ago

I have an open case with Ruckus yet again since it is so irregular and our grounds is so extensive (131 AP's and developing), I'm experiencing difficulty nailing anything down

11 Messages

• 

282 Points

2 years ago

So I decided to do some more research and see if a similar issue has been reported to other wireless vendors. I came across this, which is quite old but the issue is very similar.  I have made the suggested changes of scenario 1 on all three of our controllers and will see what happens when the users return from the holiday. 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/apple-macbook-pro-dropping-wireless-connection/ta-p/3116976

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Any update to this change? Would love to know the outcome.

11 Messages

• 

282 Points

No this does not seem to have helped. I have also deployed a vSZ and migrated the AP's of affected users and that difference has not helped either. Ruckus claims that Apple has yet to determine the root cause from the Apple Diagnostic files we have sent them.

2 Messages

• 

60 Points

2 years ago

In our case we got this suggestion from technical support

"Could you please enable the Proxy Arp and Increase the Inactivity Timeout to Max 1000 on the WLAN and see if this helps fix the issue"

This change fixed the issues for our iOS clients.

11 Messages

• 

220 Points

a year ago

Same here, 400 macs fleet and 2k more windows fleet. Just Macs on Catalina are affected. Tried everything.
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

Hi Thaigo,
    Please open a case so we can look at logs.  Catalina wasn't available in 2017 when this thread was started.

12 Messages

• 

190 Points

Hello Brado,

Are there solutions for the same issue for devices on High Sierra and Mojave?

2 Messages

• 

92 Points

Have you had  a fix yet for the Catalina issue? We are having this on test installs of Catalina.
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

Hi Warren,

I just read news from our SEs that upgrading Catalina to 10.15.1 resolved all their Customer's MAC issues.

There was an Apple thread about needing to power off/on to restore access thru wifi.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/118780/wifi-doesnt-work-unless-i-turn-it-off-then-on-again

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Hi,

We also experience intermittent connection on Catalina OSX ver. 10.15.1.  Is there any workaround on this.  Thanks!

MhelBerg

11 Messages

• 

282 Points

a year ago

So here's my latest findings on this issue.

I recently migrated from a single node vSZ to a two node cluster running 5.1.1.0.598. While working with support to get the licenses migrated we chatted about this issue. Two things came out of the conversation which I am in the process of implementing.

First, We switched from Proxy (controller) based RADIUS to AP based RADIUS. I had opted against this in our original deployment years ago because I did not want to create ~200 RADIUS Clients on each RADIUS server. Turns out, if all your APs are on the same subnet, you can specify that subnet CIDR as the IP and cover all APs in a single entry. Then you configure your WLANs to use an AP RADIUS auth method.

Secondly, 5.1.1.0.598 apparently has a known issue in which the RADIUS service restarts unexpectedly. This is supposedly resolved in 5.1.2. I am planning a maintenance window to perform this update after I let the AP auth changes settle.

12 Messages

• 

190 Points

Any documentation on how to setup Wlans to use AP Radius auth? 

11 Messages

• 

282 Points

Navigate to Services + Profiles\Authentication. The first tab is Non Proxy.
Create your RADIUS config
Add the IP subnet to your RADIUS servers with the same Shared Secret
On the WLAN, disable the Authentication service Use controller as Proxy toggle to switch and select the AP Non proxy server you created.

12 Messages

• 

190 Points

Doesn't seem like this option exists on the Zone Director

11 Messages

• 

282 Points

That is correct. My apologies. When I first found this thread, I was using a ZD3000 and seeing this issue. We then switched to a vSZ environment and continued to see the symptoms which is why i have continued to post my findings.

12 Messages

• 

190 Points

About an year ago you indicated that Apple was working with Ruckus following the ticket you raised. Did anything come out of it? I currently have an open ticket with Ruckus but we don't seem to be making any progress, just packet capture after packet capture. I am considering going back to WPA2.

22 Messages

• 

348 Points

a year ago

Hi everyone,

Any news about how to solve the issue with random WiFi disconnects on MacBooks? Newest Catalina OS version 10.15.2 gives the same user experience as the previous one 10.15.1. -Dissatisfying as of february 2020. Obviously it does not help to open a case with Ruckus. I see that it has been lasting in a couple of years with iOS pc-es.  Any other experienced professionals who can help with this issue? Recomendations? Contacts? I am eager to solve this case once and for all. Thanks in advance!

116 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

a year ago

We are getting zero disconnects on our Ruckus networks with MacBooks. We do have our network divided with all school districts owned laptops on 5GHz and guest devices on 2.4GHz. This prevents band switching, perhaps give that a try. We are using vSZ and R710APs

22 Messages

• 

348 Points

Useful recommendation David. Will give it a try. We really do not have frequency division on this site. So it is both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Although customers are not complaining about the speed, so I assumed that is working fine on this site. We are using vSZ and R510 APs.

22 Messages

• 

348 Points

I am curious as well whether it has smth to do with Authentication type. Any difference between SSID with preshared key or Secure SSID with Certificate for a device?

12 Messages

• 

190 Points

a year ago

Hi David,

Are you using WPA2 or Enterprise for authentication?

29 Messages

• 

510 Points

a year ago

What model Mac laptops are having the issue with Catalina?   We noticed that our 2018 and newer models work fine but older models are the issue.  Seems to be hardware problem for Apple as Ruckus is not the only wifi vendor with this complaint/issue and yet Apple is zero help.

22 Messages

• 

348 Points

Good question Kevin. I will check out MacBook models at the customer tomorrow. Shall give a further notice.

22 Messages

• 

348 Points

Kevin, did you open a case with Ruckus on this issue  or Catalina users just learnt to switch wifi on, each time it disconnects?

29 Messages

• 

510 Points

We worked with Ruckus support for months and never found the actual root cause.  We did immediately notice that all our 2019 Mac's worked without issue on High Sierra and Catalina, but older Mac's still had/have the issue.   Our engineers created a script for the touch bar so they could just hit a button and it would disable and enable wifi.  Horrible, but it worked for them as we phase out replace older models.  Neither Ruckus or Apple ever confirmed that it was a Apple issue but it clearly has something to do with the hardware used in the older laptops.

22 Messages

• 

348 Points

Your challenge sharing was much of a help Kevin! Thanks a lot for such a good description! Anyway I am going to find out which year are those MacBook models customer users have issues with. Stay tuned for statistics info from Norway:)

22 Messages

• 

348 Points

Hi Kevin,
3 Macbooks which experience wifi disconnect problems are as follows:
1. MacBook  Air (early 2015) Catalina 10.15.2
2. Macbook (2017) Catalina 10.15.3
3. Macbook Air (2018) Catalina 10.15.2

Was it up to 2018 year model Macbooks had difficulties and from 2019 did not? or no difficulties from 2018 year model?

116 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

a year ago

WPA2-Enterprise. We have all of our Macs on boarded to our 802.1x network (EAP-TLS) using Cloudpath. We push out the settings for this using Jamf and it works great

22 Messages

• 

348 Points

David, do you use AD, Radius, preshared key or DPSK for user authentication?

12 Messages

• 

190 Points

a year ago

David,

Are your macbooks 2018 and newer? And do you mind if i ask what radius implementation you are using?

12 Messages

• 

190 Points

a year ago

Hi Kevin,

Are you also on Enterprise authentication?

29 Messages

• 

510 Points

Yes

116 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

a year ago

Our Cloudpath server acts as our Radius server. We are using EAP-TLS and we have Macbooks that are between 1 and 5 years old all running High Sierra or Mojave

22 Messages

• 

348 Points

Thanks for sharing your experience David! I wonder whether any of your users have Catalina OS and what is their experience? We use as well 802.1X EAP, WPA2, AES and Cloudpath Radius onboard database for authentication, vSZ and R510 APs. I have High Sierra and do not experience disconnections on site, although specifically users with Catalina 10.15.2 OS and previously 10.15.1 experience disconnections twice a day as a rule. This is the difference. Catalina is a key point here:)

12 Messages

• 

190 Points

a year ago

This is good information David and Kevin, let me see how i can use it for our environment. Thanks

1 Message

• 

60 Points

a year ago

Hi, I'm also experiencing this problem.

The WiFi works flawless for every device except Apple OSX devices (diagnostics performed on Catalina OS 10.15.3). We are experiencing poor roaming and random disconnects with no automatically reconnect on MacBook OSX devices.

We run R500/R510 APs on vSZ 3.6.2.0.222

It feels like I have tried every config there is and with no results whatsoever.