Skip to main content

2 Messages

• 

84 Points

Mon, Aug 31, 2020 9:33 PM

New to Ruckus: Unleashed information and setup tips?

We are receiving some Ruckus networking gear to replace our infrastructure.  I am reaching out for any tips for a first-time-user of Ruckus networking gear.  :)  And just for a bit of background, I am versed in Ansible/Chef/Puppet/SaltStack/Terraform, VLAN, trunks, PPPoE, etc mostly in the Unifi/EdgeMax world as well as some light Cisco tweaking (never originally setup Cisco though).

• 2x ICX7150-C12 (will trunk the two together, sharing the configuration)
  • 5x Unleashed R310
  • 3x Unleashed T310c
First set of questions/advice would be around Unleashed.  From what I read, the first AP will act as the server for all other APs I add down the road.  

What about ICX7150 switches though?  Are they able to be managed via the same Unleashed software/tools?  What software/tools can I use to manage the entire site?  E.g. ICX switches, R310 APs, VLANs, DHCP, L3 ports/tcp forwarding, etc.  I'm well versed in the Unifi software that controls all of their devices.  I'm wondering if there is the same for Ruckus.

Any tips for first time user/setup?  Any Dos and Donts? Is it as simple as power on, connect to some default WiFi, hit a webpage, and go?  :)

If there isn't a unified tool/single pane of glass for the ICX7150 switches and R310/T310c APs, then I most likely will use Ansible to configure the ICX switches since there seems to be a Ruckus module released for them.

The only restriction is that this is a non-profit school with little to no money.  I may not be able to sell them on a support/licensing package.

Responses

Employee

• 

599 Messages

• 

10K Points

3 months ago

Hi Eric,

Welcome to RUCKUS family!

I am trying to answer all your queries below but very first point I would like to share, that R310 is no longer supported on 200.8 and higher versions. This means you will get stuck with 200.7 version if using any Ruckus AC wave-1 APs and 200.7 and older version also doesn't support ICX management.

I would suggest you to return R310s and go for R320s, which is supported on 200.8 and upcoming 200.9 version.

Going forward, its a good idea to buy 802.11ac wave-2 APs.

Refer my response below for your queries.
  • First set of questions/advice would be around Unleashed.  From what I read, the first AP will act as the server for all other APs I add down the road.
[Omer] Yes, you should first power up just one RUCKUS Unleashed AP (you can start with one T310c), connect it to the network and browse the IP address (DHCP assigned or default IP, if DHCP is not setup yet on your SW network). Hitting the APs IP will show you the setup wizard of Unleashed. Complete the setup wizard. Now you can start adding APs to same network as master AP (first AP you setup becomes master AP for rest of the network) and rest of the added AP will automatically discovery master AP, upgrade firmware and get configuration from master AP.
  • What about ICX7150 switches though?
[Omer] Yes it is supported.

• Are they able to be managed via the same Unleashed software/tools?
[Omer] Yes, you can manage and configure SW from Unleashed GUI. Though configuration options are limited. Refer the user guide of 200.8 Unleashed from here.
  • What software/tools can I use to manage the entire site?  E.g. ICX switches, R310 APs, VLANs, DHCP, L3 ports/tcp forwarding, etc.
[Omer] As explained above, you can manage your APs and ICX switches from Unleashed GUI and I think it covers all of the above.

Recommendations:
  • Avoid configuring Unleashed master AP in gateway mode. Setup your SW or router to handle gateway's job.
  • Make sure you setup Unleashed on 200.8 (or upgrade to 200.8, if setup is done on 200.7 or previous version).
  • Make sure ICX switches are running on compatible software version with Unleashed. Refer user guide for the details.
Feel free to ask if you have any follow-up or additional questions.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

26 Messages

• 

472 Points

3 months ago

I love the fact support flat out said... Return the r310s!

2 Messages

• 

84 Points

3 months ago

Thank you for the very detailed response!

However, these R310 and T310c APs were donated to us so we are unable to return them. So I'm guessing I'll have to split management between the ICX switches (e.g. ansible) and Unleashed APs at this point.

Employee

• 

599 Messages

• 

10K Points

Hi Eric,

If you cannot return these, its a good idea to manage them by splitting between Ansible and Unleashed(on 200.7 ver).

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Regards,

Syamantak Omer