J

4 Messages

• 

100 Points

Mon, Nov 16, 2020 3:13 PM

ICX disconnected from Unleashed; connectivity issues between AP and ICX

Like everyone else here I have a Lennar-provided ICX 7150 and two APs. Something happened over the weekend and the ICX started showing up as Disconnected in the Unleashed GUI. Symptomatically things were 'connected', but traffic through the ICX to our ISP's stupid combo modem/router was having lots of issues.

I searched around on these forums (before finding the Lennar-specific section) and found some people with similar problems getting an ICX to connect to Unleashed. I tried factory resetting the ICX and re-adding it, but that didn't work. The ICX shows up in Unleashed as Pending, then prompts to enter the IP to join it (Auto Approve is enabled but seems like the ICX is in 'Router' mode per the docs?).

No matter what I have tried, after approving the ICX, it tries connecting and then shows up as Disconnected with a message that the ICX could not be pinged. 

I also updated the ICX to 08.0.90f via TFTP, but the result was the same.

I verified that LLDP is fine between the ICX and APs, but ICMP is not. I indeed can't ping the ICX from the AP, but I can ping it when I'm on the wired network from the ISP router. Interestingly when I'm connected to the router, I can't ping the AP directly. I can ping the AP if I'm on the wifi network being broadcast by Unleashed, but then I can't ping the ICX.

I know that was pretty hand-wavy but I can clarify if needed. 

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Rep

• 

1.2K Messages

• 

16.4K Points

10 m ago

Hi Jacob,

In a recent case, it was turned out the Ruckus switch booted into router mode. Customer had a brief power outage.

We booted it into switch mode and everything got stable! We also replaced the router image file with the switch image file so it won't go into the router mode in the future.

Check if if you hitting the same issue.

2 Messages

• 

72 Points

how do you check to see which mode it's in, I am having the same issue

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Is there step by step instructions available on how to do this? 

19 Messages

• 

376 Points

@syamantak_omer 

I want to run the 7150 in router mode, is it possible to create or maintain an unleashed GUI connection while booting the ICX router firmware?

Official Rep

• 

1.2K Messages

• 

16.4K Points

Hi Harold,

If you want to see it as router code, you have to make sure it is correctly placed in the network setup because it is no longer a switch but a router.

As long as Unleashed is able to communicate with SW, it should be able to manage the switch.

On a side note, SW booting up with router image and causing issues has nothing to do with Unleashed but difference between how the traffic routing is done on a router vs switch.

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

4 Messages

• 

100 Points

10 m ago

If I get a chance today I will draw a diagram of what I have hanging off of the wired connections in case that has something to do with it. I don't think it does. I'm embedded-linux literate and know enough to be dangerous, but this is beyond my linux networking skill. This is kind of killing my WFH life and could use some help. :(

4 Messages

• 

100 Points

10 m ago

This sounds promising!

So I can tell that I did indeed flash the Router image, I just used the manifest file as described in the docs not realizing there was a whole other SPS image there. 

If it's possible that the switch incorrectly restarted in 'Router' mode, does that imply that there's a way to force it to start up in 'Switch' mode? Or do I have to reflash it (not a big deal if so).

I'm having a hard time finding the commands in either case, though; could you point me to how to get the manifest to point to the SPS image, or how to modify the config to force it to act as a switch?

Nevermind; I am just going to flash the SPS image and see what happens.

Thanks!

(edited)

Official Rep

• 

1.2K Messages

• 

16.4K Points

Hi Jacob,

To check the flash.

show flash

To boot from primary or secondary.

boot system flash primary

or

boot system flash secondary

Note: Use the global configuration mode to set the boot preference permanently. Doing it from enable mode will be effecting only once and may revert to different image upon next reboot.

(edited)

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

17 Messages

• 

242 Points

Hi,

Do I need to connect laptop to switch using c-cable and do the terminal to run above commands?

I am also facing this issue. My ICX showing disconnected. The internet working fine in windows and android phones but not in iphone and macbook or ipad. 

Anyone has any idea ?

Here is the image

4 Messages

• 

90 Points

@syamantak_omer 

New to this.

Where are you suppose to enter those commands? I'm using putty and not getting any response back from the terminal.

I'm having the same issue as @omprakash_thamsetty where I can't connect to the switch. I just keeps connecting. If anyone can give me some instructions, would be greatly appreciated. 

(edited)

17 Messages

• 

242 Points

Hi @thomas_tseng @we can’t get the terminal when it say disconnected or connected . I did couple times a reboot then switch showed me connected. Once the switch connected then i used putty to run those commands . Actually support person ran the commands for me 

4 Messages

• 

90 Points

@omprakash_thamsetty 

Thanks for the quick reply. I did several (like 5 times) hard reboots already by disconnecting and reconnecting the modem and switch, but to no avail. Not sure if you're doing something different. Did you have to open a ticket and chat with them directly?

4 Messages

• 

100 Points

10 m ago

SUCCESS! Thank you so much!

Edit: I would still like to know where to find the commands to 'boot into switch mode' are... for posterity.

(edited)

Official Rep

• 

1.2K Messages

• 

16.4K Points

Great!

Glad to help you!

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

17 Messages

• 

242 Points

@jacob_hutcheson  How you ran below steps? Any step by step instructions plz?

show flash

To boot from primary or secondary.

boot_primary

or

boot_secondary

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

So I'm running into this as well. show flash showed me the primary was sps and the secondary is spr. To get it to boot, you need to run the enable command so:

en

then you can run the boot command, tabbing over, it looks like the commands were:

boot system flash primary

This fixed it for me.

Official Rep

• 

1.2K Messages

• 

16.4K Points

Hi Nate,

Yes, that is the correct command.

However, doing it from enable mode is effecting only once. If system reboot again, it can switch the image back to router.

To make is permanent, go to config mode and then run the command, and do "write memory".

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

17 Messages

• 

242 Points

@nate_smith  Ruckus support person changed this configuration. It will be permanent change. They ran couple of commands like copying primary memory to secondary and write memory . Make primary to boot so and so commands. Those commands are mentioned in this thread by @syamantak_omer 

Thanks everyone for the help.

Thanks,

Om

2 Messages

• 

72 Points

10 m ago

I'm having the same issue and I can't get it to work.

Official Rep

• 

1.2K Messages

• 

16.4K Points

Hi Myron,

I hope you have followed the suggestions in this thread.

SSH/telnet into the ICX switch and check what image is running on it.

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

24 Messages

• 

312 Points

I’m running version SPS08095ba.bin

and I still cans see it on my unleashed network 

I also upgraded to R720 APs and I can see they have a IP address but I can’t access the Setup GUI none of the usernames or passwords work

(edited)

Official Rep

• 

1.2K Messages

• 

16.4K Points

Hi Sergio,

In that case your issue is not related to this thread.

If username/password is not working then you may have to start fresh by factory resetting the APs.

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

24 Messages

• 

312 Points

Sorry 

what I meant was I could not see my switch either even after flashing the correct firmware and making sure it booted from the correct firmware.  The switch is not recognized by the unleashed network.  I have my R510s connected to the home network and those show up fine. 

the second part was for another thread

(edited)

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

2 m ago

So I tried moving the switch over to battery backup to prevent it from going down in the future. Now it's failing to boot from primary in the logs and the secondary is the spr firmware. Anyone have any steps on what I should try next?

Jan  1 00:21:33:I:PKI: Trustpoint DEVICE_TRUSTPNT: Successfully loaded Manufacturing certificate file.   

Jan  1 00:21:33:I:System failed to boot from primary !!           

Jan  1 00:21:33:I:System: Cold start                              

Jan  1 00:21:32:D:DHCPC: starting dhcp client service on 656 port(s) 

Jan  1 00:21:32:I:Security: running-config was potentially changed by operator from console 

Edit: I got frustrated with it and flashed the latest switch firmware to both the primary and secondary using a usb and the newer manifest method. Had some issues with POE when it came back up, probably because I had the APs unplugged while I did the upgrade but they eventually got power and came back up.

(edited)

5 Messages

• 

104 Points

10 d ago

I'm having this same problem too.   Things seemed to be working OK but noticed the switch is inaccessible from Unleashed. 

Tried logging in, the Lennar password no longer worked.  Tried lots of things.  USB C as console doesn't connect, computer sees no device on the other end at all.   Did a factory reset which allowed me to log in as sp-admin, but I end up in Router mode.   If I try to switch to the primary it doesn't boot, gives up after a while and goes back to Router.  (same "failed to boot form primary!") in log as seen above. 

Verified md5 of primary .. comes back correct, so the primary image is not corrupt.

Enterprise grade stuff should work better than this.   Terrible.  It's a good thing I don't really need to get in there to do anything. 

5 Messages

• 

104 Points

9 d ago

UPDATE: Following what nate_smith wrote, I tried updating to 8095d.   

SPS8095d was able to boot OK from primary.  This seems to to resolve whatever is causing SPS8090d not to boot.   Now that I have a switch image that safely boots, I copied it to secondary, so I will never be in router mode again.     Still remains unclear why primary/SPS8090d stopped being able to boot, even after a factory reset.  

BTW, the reason your POE stuff stopped working is because the newer versions contain a POE firmware update that gets applied after boot up.   You can see that flash progress in the log.   It took about 20 minutes for that to finish on mine.

I restarted the switch and it's remembering my logins and such now, so my problem seems resolved.   Let's just hope it sticks.   I'm hoping there was some bug fixed in this newer version.     I'm guessing most Lennar homeowners won't notice if their ICX falls into router mode, as the basic L2 switching + POE use case still works, the Unleashed app just complains that it can't connect to the switch. 

(edited)

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

@rob_raper they’ll definitely notice if it’s in router mode if it’s hanging off another switch. That’s how I knew something was seriously wrong because all of my wireless devices weren’t communicating with my wired. At this point once Ubiquity has the 2.5GbE POE switches out of early access and they update their APs to 802.11ax and 2.5GbE ports, I’m replacing all the Ruckus equipment.

5 Messages

• 

104 Points

On mine, the only obvious behavior difference was that the Unleashed app showed that it could not see the ICX switch.  It was that way for quite some time (probably weeks).   Only when I started to look into that did I notice I could only access the ICX's SSH or Web interfaces through my router's port (sshing to router then ssh to ICX).   I have several switches hanging off of it, and devices on those were communicating with the wifi devices and each other fine.     Maybe there's some luck involved as to which port things are hooked up to?

Someone else here shared that they had connection drops on wireless because of router mode.   I didn't experience that, either.  All of my wired and wireless devices still communicated fine with each other while the ICX was in "router" mode.

Definitely disappointing to see "enterprise" gear behaving this poorly.  I wouldn't have expected a managed switch to be a source of headaches at all.

Important Announcement