D

10 Messages

• 

212 Points

Fri, Jan 29, 2021 12:57 AM

Ethernet issue with some sites/apps

Some websites & apps (like discord) not working through ethernet.  If I reset the Ruckus switch/WAP, the ethernet & apps work fine until it comes back from reset.  then, it doesn't work again.  Happening on multiple PC's.

Very strange issue, other sites like youtube, yahoo, google, etc work just fine.  have factory reset the Ruckus and the AT&T gateway.  Set the wireless back up and still have same issue.

Accepted Solution

10 Messages

• 

212 Points

10 m ago

created ticket and problem resolved.  Power outage followed by device booting as a router instead of switch.  Tech loaded switch image and everything works fine again.

Official Rep

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

17.7K Points

So, it was the same issue as we were thinking.

Glad to know it is fixed!

Since we have seen at least 4 different forum members facing the same issue, we will document it on a KBA and will share here (and on other threads) so that forum members can fix it by themselves.

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

Official Rep | Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RASZA | RICXI

Follow me on Linkedin

1 Message

• 

70 Points

How did you load the the switch image to get it resolved?

10 Messages

• 

212 Points

I didn't, the Tech took care of it.  Would need Syamantak or some other Ruckus tech to answer your question.

Official Rep

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

17.7K Points

Hi @aaron_williams ,

You need to check what is the current boot image used by your switch.

Sometimes, due to power outage, SW may reboot and load the second boot image. So if second boot image is router and first is switch, code will not behave the same way as it should, when booted with router code.

To permanently fix the issue, make sure both the boot image in switch has switch code, not router.

Refer below online help which has command to check and load the switch with desired boot image.

http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/fastiron/08.0.50/fastiron-08050-commandref/GUID-9B008914-403A-4FE1-8445-5DCD63F9A1A2.html

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

Follow me on Linkedin

10 Messages

• 

212 Points

10 m ago

AT&T gateway is in front of the switch/WAP.  ethernet works fine while the Ruckus switch/WAP is rebooting/resetting.  as soon as power light stops blinking and goes solid, ethernet stops working as indicated above.  only on certain sites & apps.

10 Messages

• 

212 Points

10 m ago

also, it's worked fine for 9 months since I moved it.  just started about a week ago.  have done a number of troubleshooting steps already: restarts/resets, turning off firewall & antivirus, checking that proxy is disabled, flush dns, factory reset WIN10....

Official Rep

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

17.7K Points

10 m ago

Hi David,

Check below things.

1. Make sure Unleashed is running on most recent version.
  2. Confirm the AP models, if APs are 3x3 or 4x4 (R/T/H6xx or above model), make sure APs are getting constant 802.3at PoE power.
  3. When you find an AP in problematic state, try to connect and check if wireless clients connected to this AP facing the same issue or not.
  4. Try to check if DNS is getting resolved for problematic websites/apps while laptop is connected to APs eth port. Also check ping to the websites/app server along with traceroute.
  5. Connect the laptop to switch port directly and see if you can access those apps/websites.

If you cant figure out why its behaving like this, open a case with support, with the above information.

(edited)

10 Messages

• 

212 Points

1. Yes, Current firmware version:   200.9.10.4.212

2. ICX7150 switch with 1 R510 WAP.  How do I check 802.3at PoE power?

3. Wireless does not appear to have the problem, only ethernet.

4. How do I find the IP for an app that is launching (like discord) in order to ping/traceroute?

5. Trying this later this afternoon after I'm off work and kids are offline from school.  Will let you know.

Official Rep

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

17.7K Points

R510 doesn't need 802.3at power, so it is not applicable for your APs.

Check on the internet about servers used by specific applications. Some applications like Netflix comes with a network connection test page, where you should be able to find the server's application is trying to reach.

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

Follow me on Linkedin

10 Messages

• 

212 Points

10 m ago

I was reading through some other posts and saw something similar where the issue was the switch rebooting as a router instead of a switch.  How do I check if that is my issue?

Official Rep

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

17.7K Points

Hi David,

I think running "show version" will give you more info about router/switch code.

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

Follow me on Linkedin

10 Messages

• 

212 Points

10 m ago

new data: smart tv's plugged into ethernet (currently connected from ATT gateway through the Ruckus switch) will not load apps like Netflix.  continuous connection error.  when i disconnect ethernet from TV and connect TV directly to ATT or Ruckus wifi, it works fine. 

Official Rep

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

17.7K Points

Do you mean Ruckus AP or Ruckus switch?

Check the switch code and make sure it is running on switch image, not router. If its already running on switch code, please report this issue to RUCKUS support for further investigation.

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

Follow me on Linkedin

477 Messages

• 

5.9K Points

10 m ago

1. In our country some  IPTV providers have dedicated ports on customer gateways (Alcatel/Nokia devices) for TV connection, which are not NATed, but bridged to different network and allow just 1 device to be connected ( just 1 IP address is available). If you connect through switch to this port, and switch  has DHCP client enabled,  it will take this single IP available. Than IPTV will not work at all, as it will be unable to get IP address. It's typical issue there.

2. Check your DNS.  If you use Googel DNS, it may fail to resolve some sites (I have seen it a lot recently), it may be technical problem, but may be also blocking of some services. In any case I would recommend to never use Google DNS -- why give google even more info to sell? There is 1.1.1.1 free public DNS which seems not to be collecting and selling your info, and even works better and faster...

477 Messages

• 

5.9K Points

10 m ago

3. It is very interesting report about switch booting as a router. If it means that ICX boots different, router image (for each version there are 2 different firmware files available -- image name starts with SPS  for switch mode and SPR for router mode), it is not clear how is it possible? 

477 Messages

• 

5.9K Points

For my understanding, booting different image can happen only in one case -- if wrong image was already uploaded to switch flash.  Firmware image can't just appear in the flash by some magic -- somebody uploaded it. There are 2 copies of firmware image on switch, they can be different and  reboot or power cycling can activate second image than.  But image has to be uploaded there first anyway! If this was the case (manual upgrade to wrong image), there is an easy fix -- upgrade back to switch image instead of router image. 

Hope it helps.

Important Announcement