I need some help understanding what I do with a C12P switch (came with my Lennar home).
I'd (ideally) like to set up VLANs for smart home use. However, I can't run all cables to a single switch. I need to use two.
- Can I use the "uplink" ports C1 and C2 as regular ports?
- Can "uplink" ports C1 and C2 be managed (assigned to VLANs, truck ports, etc)?
SFP ports (10G, licensed):
If I license two C12P switches so I can use SFP ports X1 and X2 to stack the switches, I would use port X1 on switch 1 to stack to port X2 on switch 2.
- Can I still use X2 on switch 1 as an uplink for a router/server/etc?
- Can license 10G SFP ports X1 and X2 be managed (assigned to VLANs, truck ports, etc)?
SFP ports (1G, NOT licensed):
- Can I use the SFP ports as regular 10/100/1000 ports?
- Can unlicensed 1G SFP ports X1 and X2 be managed (assigned to VLANs, truck ports, etc).
I know I don't have a networking "need" to stack the switches, I just thought it would be easier than managing two separate switches and VLAN assignments. If I determine it's cost prohibitive or I can't accomplish what I want, I'll use a trunk link.