Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

Thu, May 21, 2020 9:36 PM

Discussion around issues in Catlina MacOS

There has been a lot of chaos on Catalina MacOS and its interaction with networks that have deployed Ruckus products for wireless service.  Issues are being seen in current Catalina MacOS that did not appear in earlier releases of MacOS: Mojave, High-Sierra, etc.

TAC managers have asked that we share information with our customers.

It is recommended that Macbook users use 10.15.4 who wish to use Catalina OS or have got an relatively older version of Catalina MacOS: namely 10.15, 10.15.1, 10.15.2 or 10.15.3. Apple has fixed a variety of bugs including but not limited to Wi-Fi, Safari stop responding when attempting to use Apple Pay, HSTS enhancement etc.

Apple has released beta version of 10.15.5 and it will soon be available officially on their website.

Some of the useful URLs on issues encountered with Catalino OS are:

-> https://www.techradar.com/news/macos-catalina-10154-gets-a-stability-update-but-reports-claim-its-breaking-some-macbooks

-> https://macreports.com/mac-catalina-wi-fi-problems-fix/

-> https://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/osx/macbook-pro-constantly-dropping-wireless-connection

-> https://osxdaily.com/2014/04/24/fix-mac-disconnect-wifi-sleep/

Please note that Catalina is true 64-bit operating system and Apple has asked all the users to use 64-bit version of those applications. Please read the following URLs for further information:

-> https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/12/20908567/apple-macos-catalina-breaking-apps-32-bit-support-how-to-prepare-avoid-update

Quotes on 32-bit applications:

“Apple first announced that it would ultimately wind down support for 32-bit apps more than a year and a half ago, when it began pushing alerts to macOS High Sierra users that 32-bit software was “unsupported.” The apps still worked, but with Catalina’s official unveiling back in June at WWDC, Apple made the eventual discontinuation official. With the launch of Catalina, 32-bit apps no longer function.”

Responses

1 Message

• 

62 Points

6 months ago

I have an unleashed network with R610 + 2 x R310 that drops Zoom meetings on a new macbook pro. Could this be the issue, or do I need to raise a ticket with support?
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

6 months ago

It is recommended that Macbook users use 10.15.4 who wish to use Catalina OS.
Brand User

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

• 

44.8K Points

And/But I have found further information,
Apple has made some further announcements: latest MacOS isCatalina: 10.15.5. It has some interesting features and fixes, please read ityour leisure:

// Apple releases macOS Catalina 10.15.5 with newBattery Health Management feature

https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/26/apple-releases-macos-catalina-10-15-5-with-new-battery-health-management-feature/

//What's new in the updates for macOS Catalina

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210642

It may be that in few weeks 10.15.4 will be inaccessible...

60 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

2 months ago

What's the current recommendation on this. We are working w/coworking spaces and we can't just ask random people to downgrade, especially with the "it works everywhere else" response we tend to get.

60 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

2 months ago

bump - seeing 10.15.6 clients dropping like crazy, no reason code on the ZD side.

Posted elsewhere, but this "we don't validate Mac/iOS anymore" upsets me because of sites like this:

7 Messages

• 

142 Points

2 months ago

Hi Team,

Since this seems to be affecting you on a larger aspect it would be best if you can open a TAC ticket with Ruckus to investigate this further. We would need ZD debug log and AP support logs along with client MAC which is dropping frequently.

Please reach out to us using below :

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

Best Regards
Vineet

Employee

• 

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

2 months ago

Hi Team,

Since this seems to be affecting you on a larger aspect it would be best if you can open a TAC ticket with Ruckus to investigate this further. We would need ZD debug log and AP support logs along with client MAC which is dropping frequently.

Please reach out to us using below :

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

Best Regards
Vineet

60 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

Do you have any explanation why 10.14 and 10.15 are not validated with any Ruckus gear?

Employee

• 

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

Hi Team,

I am not sure who gave that information or could validate it but if I see from customer's setup I know many customer's are using MACOS 10.14 and 10.15 on Ruckus gears, sometime there might be connectivity issue but with the right set of information and debugging it is always narrowed down and resolved. It would be best if you can open a TAC case, let support gather the details ex. AP model, Wlan type, Version on controller/AP, debug log information and accordingly progress to find the cause.

Best Regards
Vineet

60 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

The information comes from your own release notes!

Employee

• 

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

Can you please point me to it ? I mean ZD or vSZ and what version release? Let me go through it and I would be in a better position to reply.

Best Regards
Vineet

Employee

• 

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

Hi Team,

I was able to find out the below article that would be helpful. The article has explained the recommended version for MacOS as well as the issue that were specific to MacOS devices.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000010544

Best Regards
Vineet

7 Messages

• 

156 Points

2 months ago

We're seeing this happen more with slightly older MacBook pros. Our 2017 and newer ones seem stable whereas the 2016 and older ones keep falling off the network. This is a small network of Wave 2 APs running current firmware. 

Has anyone looked at this with the Big Sur previews? 

Best,

David

Official Rep

• 

97 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

I am on Big Sur 11.0 developer beta (20A5384c) against Unleashed 200.9 on R750 with no issue.

7 Messages

• 

156 Points

Did you have issues with Catalina? I'm finding some devices have issues and some don't on Catalina. I don't know with Big Sur yet.

Official Rep

• 

97 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

I have another MBP early 2015 running Catalina 10.15.6 Beta (19G60d) and experienced issue with connecting Wi-Fi, recently updated to 10.15.7 and saw the release note from Apple with the first bug fix as "Resolves an issue where macOS would not automatically connect to Wi-Fi networks", see below screenshot.

After the upgrade, this Catalina MBP on my home Unleashed on R750 is pretty stable as I am running Plex server so if any packet lost would be quite obvious.

10 Messages

• 

214 Points

Hi Tony, I'm inclined to think that this 10.15.7 fix listed by Apple is to fix a problem introduced in 10.15.6 that is affecting more than just Apple<––>Ruckus connections... as this has appeared in several JAMF forums and was affecting non-Ruckus sites.

That said, this doesn't mean that in fixing that issue Apple haven't also addressed the issue we're all seeing here.

7 Messages

• 

156 Points

2 months ago

I'm sorry to take this conversation sideways but has Ruckus officially ended support for Macs and iOS? Am I allowed to curse in this forum? 

10 Messages

• 

214 Points

I don't believe this to be the case either... I think this is more a case of poor documentation than poor support... I'm currently being supported by Ruckus TAC for Apple devices running 10.15.6 and 10.16 (and iOS 14).

10 Messages

• 

214 Points

Quick update so that this makes sense to those reading it later.

I've asked Ruckus TAC to close this case as we are no longer experiencing this problem on clients running 10.15.4, 10.15.5 (and newer).

The fix seems to have been AP firmware upgrade to 5.2.1.0.698.

Official Rep

• 

97 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

2 months ago

AFAIK, it is not the case.

10 Messages

• 

214 Points

2 months ago

Just to put it out there... over the last couple of months, we have seen a sharp reduction in the number of macOS clients exhibiting this problem (having changed nothing in our main wireless config). To the point now that I am finding it hard to reproduce the problem for Ruckus Support.

Two possibilities could explain this (somewhat obviously, seeing as this problem requires both macOS clients and Ruckus AP's). The first thing that has changed is that macOS clients have moved from 10.15.5 to 10.15.6 and now 10.15.7. The second thing is that we have applied two updates to our Ruckus controllers (Virtual SmartZone controllers - vSZ-E) - from version: 5.2.0.0.699 to 5.2.0.0.5527 and now 5.2.1.0.515.

More importantly (I believe) is that these firmware bundles included AP firmware updates. We were running version: 5.1.2.0.373... which updated to 5.2.0.0.1412 and now 5.2.1.0.698.

Now, in the hope that this helps others, I'm planning on downgrading a 2015 MBA to 10.15.5 (or earlier) and testing to see if the problem returns, but it may be that Ruckus have fixed the issue (either inadvertently or knowingly).

If it's as simple as now updating AP firmware, hopefully this helps you.

22 Messages

• 

348 Points

Chris, nice logic! Let us know how it went with the test to get the theory confirmed.

10 Messages

• 

214 Points

Just to round out this thought process… I have had the Ruckus TAC close the case looking into this issue as I have not been able to reproduce the fault with any of the three 2015 Macs that I've been testing with.

These have been running 10.15.4 and 10.15.5.

Since upgrading the Ruckus AP's to firmware version 5.2.1.0.698 the issue has not manifested at all.

While it's not the same as actually getting an answer… with neither my test machines nor the fleet of 700+ student owned devices having this problem any more… I'm calling it solved and I'm as confident as I can be that it's the Ruckus AP firmware update that fixed it.

(edited)

2 Messages

• 

20 Points

So is there no fix for non smart zone applications? 

10 Messages

• 

214 Points

Hey Mark,

I can't comment on a fix for unleashed AP's, because I'm not in a position to test, but Ruckus released Unleashed AP version 200.9.10.4.212 on 27th Oct… which is newer than the SZ firmware I'm running.

So maybe try it and see?

(edited)

60 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

Really kind of bummed Ruckus a) didn't do the legwork to confirm this in the lab b) was not able to confirm to you (and others) that there is actually a confirmed, tested fix.

Someone else mentioned ChannelFly and background scanning - we had both disabled while seeing the problem.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

a month ago

Our fix was to turn off channel fly and background scanning.  Problem went away on numereous sites.  This problem came about in march after the 10.15.4 Catalina update.

10 Messages

• 

214 Points

Hey Rob,

Nice update… I did read some info on "AWDL": https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19587701/what-is-awdl-apple-wireless-direct-link-and-how-does-it-work when following a rabbit hole from one of the previous posters. 

Long-story-short AWDL uses 'off-channel' scanning for direct link establishment for services like AirPlay, AirDrop and others… and the techniques employed by Apple reminded me of the Techniques used by Ruckus for ChannelFly. 

Both very cool usage of radio air-time to perform 'other' functions, but it dawned on me that these two together could have been causing an 'incompatibility' so-to-speak.

I had no way of testing as we'd already upgraded the firmware of our AP's (and I was hesitant to downgrade just to prove the point to myself) so your fix sheds a little more light on that possibility.

What I can say is, Apple have been doing work on AWDL (& their wireless drivers more generally) throughout the life of Catalina… and the latest ruckus firmware seems to solve the problem (with ChannelFly still enabled) on all versions of Catalina.