david_henderson_7033756's profile

116 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

Mon, Mar 9, 2020 12:10 PM

Radius server unreachable events

vSZ version 5.2.0.0.699 with 411 R710s APs on campus. Every few days we are getting a bunch of radius server unreachable events. What is odd is the details of the event do not even point to our radius server. All events are reported like this

AP [Int301@F8:E7:1E:2A:A4:40] is unable to reach radius server [127.0.0.1].

Of course 127.0.0.1 is not our radius server. We are using Cloudpath as our radius server. Our wifi is rock solid so there are no other symptoms other than a rash of these events every few days.

Any ideas what causes this?

Responses

388 Messages

• 

5.9K Points

10 m ago

Isn't it still released MR version fixed?

We also met those log at several site.

It's very serious.

116 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

9 m ago

Yesterday we installed 5.2.1, the install went well. We are still receiving "vSZ-E:Major:Radius server unreachable event triggered". I was hoping this release would fix this issue and it has not

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

8 m ago

Anyone has an update about this? Or has anyone a case open with Ruckus? We're also having the same issue in 5.2.1 release

Employee

• 

57 Messages

• 

1K Points

8 m ago

Hello Everyone,

On 5.2.0 we have an issue where Radius proxy service hangs or sends incomplete config causing the trouble, as a workaround (for immediate effect) reloading the radiusproxy service resolves the issue. Kindly open a TAC ticket since we have a patch available for 5.2.0 to resolve this issue, whereas on 5.2.1 I see an internal ticket already opened with engineering for Radius server unreachable event hence please open a ticket with Radiusproxy debug logs to validate if you are facing the same.

To open a ticket please reach out to below :

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

Best Regards
Vineet

388 Messages

• 

5.9K Points

Hi Vineet.

Our customer had experienced similar symptom.

Is there a patch?

Can you let me know ER-number?

Regards.

2 Messages

• 

116 Points

Hi Vineet,

This is a serious impact, please make the patch available!

Thanks!

Official Rep

• 

971 Messages

• 

14K Points

Hi Raymond/Jeronimo,

Please open the support case to better understand your problem and accordingly support can advise the fix or can troubleshoot further.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

187 Messages

• 

3K Points

Is there a patch for 5.2.1 or just 5.2.0?

Employee

• 

57 Messages

• 

1K Points

Hello Jeronimo and Raymond,

Can you please open up a TAC case so that we can verify if you are facing same issue on your setup and all details would be shared by the case. This issue has been seen on 5.2.0 (with few customer's only) and reload of controller or restart of radiusproxy service resolve's it, hence it is necessary to validate the logs before applying the patch. @EightOhTwoEleven On 5.2.1 we do not have this issue validated as of now.

Best Regards
Vineet

8 Messages

• 

174 Points

6 m ago

Hello,

could somebody update their latest news regarding this issue? Have you been able to find the root cause and is there fix available? I have two customers suffering  RADIUS issues, there are many similarities (such as those "unable to reach 127.0.0.1" error messages) on both of these cases but also some differences (for example whether or not vSZ reboot fixes the problem). Both were 5.2.0, one was upgraded to 5.2.1, still seeing "127.0.0.1" error messages.

9 Messages

• 

142 Points

6 m ago

Hello all, 

According to Ruckus support, there is an ER that was raised for the Radius server not reachable on this firmware. An AP patch is available.

enver

9 Messages

• 

142 Points

@enver_hassim We updated the AP firmware which has largely resolved the issue. NB. I say, "largely", because I came across 1 error today and still investigating it.

(edited)

116 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

What version of firmware did you apply to your APs?

Was it easy to apply via the GUI?

9 Messages

• 

142 Points

The AP firmware I applied is 5.2.1.0.1023. It's simple to install via the GUI.

116 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

I am seeing this on the Ruckus download site

SmartZone AP Patch for Post 5.2.1 GA Refresh (SZ300, SZ-100, vSZ) version 5.2.1.0.1017

I do not see version 5.2.1.0.1023, what am I missing?

9 Messages

• 

142 Points

You need to raise a ticket with Ruckus and they will send you the AP patch.

3 Messages

• 

30 Points

6 m ago

We are seeing this issue more than ever on 5.2.1.0.515. We have just applied the latest AP Patch to see if that makes a difference, but the VSZ itself is also throwing the error when used as proxy. 

Patrick Doyle

Senior IT Systems Engineer

RivaNET

6 Messages

• 

118 Points

6 m ago

Same issue here. 

AP firmware: 5.2.1.0.1017

Official Rep

• 

971 Messages

• 

14K Points

6 m ago

Hi All,

5.2.1.0.1023 is a patch provided under one of the existing cases running with engineering and this patch is not available yet publically.

If required, you can open a support case and request for the same.

(edited)

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

1 Message

• 

60 Points

14 d ago

Sorry to dig up the dead, but I've been from one end of the web to the other looking for this.

I upgraded from 3.6.2.0.250 to 5.2.2.0.317.  I now have the same problem, randomly getting hammered with these controller notifications with corresponding Reason Code 1: Internal error occurred on my NPS, as well as error code 6274.  Never saw this particular notification from my wireless controllers prior to the 3.6.2.0.250 to 5.2.2.0.317 upgrade.

I am running 2 NPS servers for Ruckus, one primary and one secondary backup. I have both Cisco and Ruckus wireless in my environment (been migrating from Cisco to Ruckus for some time, different physical locations entirely). I have never seen this happen on Cisco wireless gear, only my Ruckus access points.

This began immediately after upgrading to the 5.2.2.0.317 release.

We can only hope that somewhere along the line Ruckus gets this right.

1 Message

• 

62 Points

14 d ago

I feel your pain, we upgraded our Firmware and that gave us loads of Server Unreachable errors, tried to persevere with Ruckus Support and get it fixed, but it became silly, so rolled back to the previous version and all is working again !

Good luck. 

9 Messages

• 

142 Points

I am running vSZ 6.0.0.0.1331 and have not experiencing any Server Unreachable errors. v6 is also more intuitive and the interface is less 'laggy'.

130 Messages

• 

2.6K Points

@geoff_mattey what version did you downgrade to? 3.6.2?

369 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

13 d ago

To avoid this error you need correct AP firmware version with patch. Correct AP firmware version means same or newer system version. For example, vSZ with 5.2.1.0.515 and patch installed (AP firmware 5.2.1.0.1038) will not have this error messages.

If you have some vSZ zones with lower firmware version, than you'll have this errors from this zones APs even after upgrade. If you have APs not supported on 5.2, than you need to use 3.6.2.

For me it was not possible to stay on 3.6.2, as I have switches to manage, so I upgraded from 3.6.2 long ago.   Radius error is annoying, but at least it seems to not affect client connections at all.  Actually, as much as I understand, there are at least 3 different problems - one (minor) is accepting some request attributes, unsupported by NPS, another  (main) -- reporting errors with connection to Radius on loopback address 127.0.0.1, and the third -- reporting Radius errors for some seemingly random addresses (which may actually not be random, but used by Ruckus cloud setup). But in all cases this errors are not preventing users from authenticating with valid Radius server. 

(edited)

12 Messages

• 

292 Points

11 d ago

I am seeing the same Radius server unreachable in my environment - 5.1.2.0.302. I opened a case with support yesterday and sent in the SupportInfo from one of the APs. The reply i got back does not instill confidence in the product.

"After checking the support log we collected from 1 of the APs looks like the device was having issues matching the accept received from the Radius with the client that was requesting access to the network."

SO i interpret that to mean "Ohh you want access, let me go ask for you...Who was it that wanted to get in the club again?

The AP reports reconnecting about 30 seconds later.

I have two RADIUS servers in the environment and the AP can not communicate with either in the same time frame.

I am having issues with users connecting to a 1x WLAN and i believe this is a good indication why. I sent in a second AP log this morning  to review.

Since i am in a non-proxy setup, am i bogging down the AP?

I'm planning to go to 5.2.2 once school lets out in a couple weeks. I need to do the upgrade anyway to add support for the new APs we're getting.

Important Announcement