jside's profile

12 Messages

• 

228 Points

Fri, Jul 10, 2020 11:08 AM

R710 ZD Managed corrupt firmware? (can't connect with ssh or http(s)

Hi!

I've bought an 2nd hand Ruckus R710, which I cannot access.
I've reset it multiple times with the reset button on the back.
After reset the pwr led goes from red to solid green.
At that point I can ping it on 192.168.0.1 but there is not webinterface on port 80 or 443.
Trying to ssh to it I only get an connection refused message.

I can see that it broadcasts the wireless network island-xxxx
But I can't connect to it. I've tried the following passwords:
sp-admin
ruckus-sp-admin

ruckus-

Is the firmware corrupted? is there anything else I can do to connect to it?
I guess my next step is to contact the original owner to see if he/she can do an RMA?

I want to run this with standalone unleashed.

Thanks, in advance,
/J

235 Messages

• 

4K Points

1 y ago

Rough one. I would get your money back before that 'door closes'. Sounds like the AP you've got is bricked. if HTTP and https are down and SSH refuses the connection, I would spend no more time with it.

9 Messages

• 

172 Points

1 y ago

Same problem for me. I see the WiFi "Configure.Mexxx" but no luck, phone app says I am connected to the Wifi but hit the Start button and it fails with a message that says Unable to fetch default configuration from the AP.

Did someone brick this?  Can I install the Standalone firmware or a new Unleashed version from the USB on the R710 or is the only want to upgrade to use the CLI or the web administration on the R710 to upgrade the firmware?

Somebody update us on a solution, if any.

Thanks,

John

Official Rep

• 

1.2K Messages

• 

17K Points

Issue already discussed under another thread https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/r710-cant-connect-to-web-gui-or-ssh

Seems and RMA.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

Official Rep | Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RASZA | RICXI

Follow me on Linkedin

9 Messages

• 

172 Points

RMA will not work, no support contract.  I purchased this thru Ebay, looks like it was originally sold by ECS COMPUTERS (HK) LIMITED but not sure how the guy on Ebay got it.  So, no luck.  I might have just lost $$$   

Official Rep

• 

1.2K Messages

• 

17K Points

Hi John,

We strongly recommend to buy our products only from authorized Ruckus resellers and partners.

Buying from unauthorized third party platforms is risky and even if someone got lucky with the purchase, there will be no support available for any complaint made, for such devices.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

Follow me on Linkedin

235 Messages

• 

4K Points

Is this the same AP you came here about 3 months ago? Oh man, I wonder if buyer protection still applies. 

235 Messages

• 

4K Points

1 y ago

John, get your money back. Waste no time in submitting a claim. 

9 Messages

• 

172 Points

1 y ago

Thanks Andrew, I will try.  Tempted by the good deal, I have had good luck on other things, but I understand there is risk.  A new one for $800-900 is too much for home, but $275 was something I felt comfortable with.  Hope Ebay gets it back for me.  Now I have to try and convince myself to spend more or bo with a new Ubiquiti AP.

12 Messages

• 

228 Points

Ebay is really good at buyers protection. I got all money back from my faulty R710. The seller didn't even respond, but they still gave me all money back including import fees to Europe etc. Bought another used R710 which is working great.

235 Messages

• 

4K Points

1 y ago

UBNT is a fine choice for a Home AP. For me, my Ruckus APs are a source of pride. I have implemented UBNT, Cisco / Meraki / Mist, and Fortinet Wireless solutions. Although Ruckus units (and their various holding companies) aren't without their quirks, I feel they're best in class.

12 Messages

• 

228 Points

5 m ago

@andrew_giancola 

So for reference. I got my money back (ebay buyers protection). I manged to "fix" the AP by flashing a new firmware. I flashed the firmware by connecting to the onboard spi pins, using minicom, I could login and flash the firmware from tftp.

So this was solveable without RMA

Best Regards J

1 Message

• 

60 Points

do you have any instructions on how to do that , is it easy to open the R710 ?

Regards

(edited)

12 Messages

• 

228 Points

@mohamed_elhamzaoui 

See https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/conversations/access-points/ebay-r710-cannot-connect-via-ssh-or-browser-nmap-reveals-several-ports-open-after-factory-reset/5f91c3f3135b77e2478f700c

Easy enough I would say. You need some knowledge basic understanding and knowledge in electronics and computers.

(edited)

Official Rep

• 

1.2K Messages

• 

17K Points

It is not recommended.

Opening Ruckus equipment shell will void the warranty and support!

Regards,

Syamantak Omer

Follow me on Linkedin

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

Same problem for me. I see the WiFi "Configure.Mexxx" but no luck, phone app says I am connected to the Wifi but hit the Start button and it fails with a message that says Unable to fetch default 

192.168.l.254

configuration from the AP.

Did someone brick this?  Can I install the Standalone firmware or a new Unleashed version from the USB on the R710 or is the only want to upgrade to use the CLI or the web administration on the R710 to upgrade the firmware?

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

1 m ago

Same problem for me. I see the WiFi "Configure.Mexxx" but no luck, phone app says I am connected to the Wifi but hit the Start button and it fails with a

192.168.l.254

message that says Unable to fetch default configuration from the AP.

Important Announcement